Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I'd love to play this game on my Late 2013 13" rMBP...
I have Windows 8 installed on Bootcamp, but it is terrible: it lags a lot, it overheats and the trackpad works like a mouse from the Nineties. I have installed the bootcamp driver suite, would I be better served by installing Windows 10? Is there any secrets to achieving a mac-like trackpad behaviour on bootcamp?
I know my questions are pretty unrelated to this thread, but it seems like the best place to ask right now... Sorry!

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Well, I just gave it a try. I think I am still gonna keep this one, and buy other Windows gaming machine for fun. My other Surface Book 2 still runs AOE IV okay. It was that I was surprised by not able to play AOE IV on the new Mac M1 chip. I guess the ARM architecture just does not have AVX instruction set, which I did not know.

What made you think that the Mac M1 would play a new release Microsoft exclusive title for windows by default? Ie that you’re surprised it doesn’t?

Yes there are ways to get windows games to work but they aren’t they straightforward or seamless…

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
What made you think that the Mac M1 would play a new release Microsoft exclusive title for windows by default? Ie that you’re surprised it doesn’t?

Yes there are ways to get windows games to work but they aren’t they straightforward or seamless…
Because previous MacBooks would have run it fine.

MacRumours regulars aren’t a typical customer.

A large number of customers are not going to understand the implications of new chips, and apples product page isn’t exactly clear with what those implications are.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have attempted to run AOE 4 on a MacBook Air (M1) running Parallels 17.1, Windows 11 - no go, the message I get is "Your CPU needs to support AVX instructions to run this game". I did have success running AOE 2 Definitive Edition, have not tried any others. I am not a true techie, especially on Windows, but my basic understanding is that the M1 will not support AVX instructions that are part of the 8086 architecture. I did read something about SIMD and SIMDe, but I was way over my head at that point. If anyone has any insight into this, would be appreciated.
I’ve heard Intel won’t license the AVX instructions for emulators to use. Unless AoE4 removes that requirement or gets ARM native binaries this probably won’t be coming. I’m planning to buy a Steam Deck for this game. Sucks to wait, but AoE4 will be relevant for at least a decade.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
That's because previous MacBooks had Intel CPUs and could run windows.
I think you misunderstood the context of my post.

It’s easy to see why a typical user would expect that their new MacBook pro can do everything their old one did.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I’ve heard Intel won’t license the AVX instructions for emulators to use. Unless AoE4 removes that requirement or gets ARM native binaries this probably won’t be coming. I’m planning to buy a Steam Deck for this game. Sucks to wait, but AoE4 will be relevant for at least a decade.
There’s still issues with AoE4 running with protonDB so there’s a good chance that this may not run properly on a steam deck also.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There’s still issues with AoE4 running with protonDB so there’s a good chance that this may not run properly on a steam deck also.
I have a steam deck on pre-order/reservation and I may just slap windows on it, and run games through my xbox gamepass. From what little I know, I believe you'll be able to load windows onto the steam deck

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I have a steam deck on pre-order/reservation and I may just slap windows on it, and run games through my xbox gamepass. From what little I know, I believe you'll be able to load windows onto the steam deck
I really hope the Steam Deck changes everything for Proton and Linux gaming.

The protonDB reports that AoE4 worked until updates broke it with proton. Then there are numerous fixes that need the command line.

Hopefully it goes mainstream enough that people start caring about it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really hope the Steam Deck changes everything for Proton and Linux gaming.
Initially, I was extremely optimistic, and then for unrelated reasons, I installed Pop_os on my Razer Blade. It ran well, it was easy to configure and I was impressed by its polish. Yet, when I tried to play some games, I was surprised and dismayed at how poorly they ran. Supposed gold rated games barely ran, either without sound, or the FPS was so low, that it was unplayable.

I don't believe the gold rating on protondb is as accurate as I had hoped. Looking at the comments, and not just the ratings seem to tell a different story.

Thomas_55

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2022
I really love playing games on stadia, so guess better to wait for a game streaming provider to include is in their supported games list?

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I really love playing games on stadia, so guess better to wait for a game streaming provider to include is in their supported games list?
Stadia has just been de prioritised by Google too.

Looks like they’re going to be wrapping stadia up and selling the tech to others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.