Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
What the heck is going on here? I was just using my laptop and noticed a strange smell. I then put my nose near the keyboard and realized that it was a burning smell coming from below the keyboard. I think I may have read a thread on this somewhere else but I cant remember what causes it. Is this normal for macs? Or should I get this thing serviced?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I dunno if somethings wrong with yours, but mine had a weird aluminum/plastic/electronics smell when I fist got it.

Went away after a few days of use...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
pbfire2.jpg

How old is your PB - there was a battery recall.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Maybe you left something, like food, inside, and it is burning because of the heat. I've heard of horror stories at schools that use iBooks, where kids have papers and food instead of AirPort cards-scary. Have you left food in the AirPort slot?

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
My 15" PB has a similar smell. In my case, the odor is maximal if I sniff just below the touchpad button. I've been dealing with it my not putting my nose to the laptop and sniffing. Hopefully it isn't poisoning me slowly with toxic fumes...

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Morn said:
But nothing in a laptop gets hot enough to burn anything...
maybe Apple goofed and put a dual core G5 in a g4 case! Besides, I didn't say realistically, just what I'd think.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Being less than 2 weeks old it could still be some of the chemicals and coatings still cooking off...though it might be a safe bet to get it looked at thoroughly before something unexpected happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.