Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So I'm running the PB on my Air 1 and am there is a considerable amount of lag especially on the app switcher. Is this just cause of it being a beta, or would it help for me to do a restore on the device than restore from iTunes backup?

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I've done a fresh install + restore from iCloud. But it is still laggy on my Air1. Hope the full release of iOS9 makes it better.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I've done a fresh install + restore from iCloud. But it is still laggy on my Air1. Hope the full release of iOS9 makes it better.
So probably isn't worth it to do the fresh install + restore then?

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
So probably isn't worth it to do the fresh install + restore then?
No not now. Maybe the Golden Master if its still laggy. But my iPad Air 1 has never been supersmooth. Even out of the box with iOS7 it wasn't smooth. But now iOS9 is even worse.

Reactions: TommyA6

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The Air 1 is an underpowered device and Apple is totally ignoring it. It's funny that they are because it performs about the same as an iPhone 6 Plus, which has been one of their flagships for the past year. The switcher is mostly smooth for me on my mini 2, it's just entering and exiting the switcher or closing apps that is bad. Oh and for some reason, simply scrolling past the home screen causes stutter, but everywhere else is okay. Everything else performance wise is similar to iOS 8, so I can't complain too much. I actually have reached the point where I am using grayscale wallpapers so I can always have increase contrast on without the hideous dock or folders being too noticeable because I'm sick of the stuttering. I wish I could just use my iPad like this for the rest of its lifetime but I probably wont be able to bare it, still looks kind of ugly.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It might help, but no guarantees. I just restored my iPhone 5s yesterday and it does seem smoother so far (battery life still sucks though).

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Yes. Backup to iTunes on my Mac, erase all content and settings from my iPhone, then restore backup from iTunes.
I might do that when the final public release comes out, if it is not smoother on the GM.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Changed my mind, just backed up, erased all content and settings, and am now restoring from the backup. Hoping it fixes the annoying lagginess. Since this is an A7 device, it should totally not be acting this laggy.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Update: ended up doing a full reset and setup as new WITHOUT restoring from a backup. Never thought I'd do it, but it actually wasn't that bad. I'd been using the same iPad backup since I got an iPad 3 way back in December of 2012; it was time for a change ;)
Anyway, I still am experiencing some of the lag so that definitely confirms that the beta is a bit laggy. Ah well, hopefully it will be fixed by the GM, I would imagine so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.