Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I'd like to use my my iPad Air 2 in a desktop situation, mainly for writing in Office 365 Word.

I have no need for mobile so I'm not interested in a case/keyboard, and I'd prefer a full size key board. And one that supports iOS shortcuts.

And I realize I could use a recommendation for a stand.

Basically, I'd like to be able to get off the coach and put my iPad in a stand on my desk and be good to go.

I'd settle for a small footprint keyboard with keys similar to what's on my laptop.

Not finding much searching for this. Seems mostly about cases.

Thanks.

learn2

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
I use the Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 keyboard. Works great for OneNote, but I don't use the other parts of Office 365 as frequently. Use the Windows key inteaad of the Mac option key. Under iOS 9, you can hold down the windows key to see what keyboard shortcuts are supported by whatever app you're in, which is nice. As far as other special buttons go, the arrow keys work in most apps, but "page up" and "page down" don't tend to. The PC-sepecific function keys don't work on an ipad, but those are undersized on this keyboard anyway.

My at-home stand is a Belkin flip-blade, but that's no longer made. You want one that holds the iPad an inch to an inch or so off the surface of the table, up a bit away from the keyboard so you can reach your home button easily. Otherwise, anything sturdy will do.

I tend to put my iPad in the stand in portrait. Vendors seem to think we want our iPads sideways, like a laptop screen. But, when looking at documents, keeping the proportions similar to a sheet of paper works best. So, make sure that the stand has some back support for that.

Edit to Add: I have had this keyboard and stand since my ipad3. I don't think I paid the price amazon is asking for the microsoft 5000 keyboard at that time, and they have a newer model that is cheaper.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.