Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
This may sound crazy, but due to major sales on these and long holiday return periods, I bought an 11" pro, an Air 5, and a 9th gen over the last month to try each out and see which worked best for me (including eye comfort, as I have super sensitive eyes and get headaches/dry eyes with some of these devices), and will return two of the three before the return windows close in a couple of months.

Anyway, what I am finding is that the 11" pro and the 9th gen do a great job of minimizing fingerprints on the displays. I can use them quite a bit and only see a few fingerprints on the displays.
However the Air 5- even after just light use- is covered in fingerprints- as if it has no oleophobic coating at all.

Has that been the experience of others out there as well with the Air 5? I'm curious as to why it would be so different from the Pro or the 9th gen... Not that it's a huge deal, but just curious as it is a slight annoyance.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Both of my daughters have an Air 5 and they’re bad fingerprint magnets, but we got a paperlike protector for my oldest which fixed the problem and my youngest has a durable cover with its own screen cover. My 12.9 Pro had fingerprints too but not as bad, and then I got a paperlike too (all generic).

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Both of my daughters have an Air 5 and they’re bad fingerprint magnets, but we got a paperlike protector for my oldest which fixed the problem and my youngest has a durable cover with its own screen cover. My 12.9 Pro had fingerprints too but not as bad, and then I got a paperlike too (all generic).
I might try the paperlike screen protector- thanks for sharing. Does the display look different with those (giving it more of a matte look)?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My Air 5 is a fingerprint magnet but honestly also is my 9.7-inch iPad Pro, I haven’t noticed a difference (and by that I mean, my 9.7-inch iPad Pro isn’t necessarily better).

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I might try the paperlike screen protector- thanks for sharing. Does the display look different with those (giving it more of a matte look)?
I would say it does give it more of a matte look but that doesn’t affect picture quality imo.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I use screen protectors if for no other reason than all that screen wiping would surely wear down the screen’s coating. It’s some generic glossy one which is supposed to resist fingerprints, found it on amazon.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Keep the pro forget the rest, unless you can't afford it.
Have had iPad's since the beginning never used a screen protector.

Reactions: Isamilis

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
This may sound crazy, but due to major sales on these and long holiday return periods, I bought an 11" pro, an Air 5, and a 9th gen over the last month to try each out and see which worked best for me (including eye comfort, as I have super sensitive eyes and get headaches/dry eyes with some of these devices), and will return two of the three before the return windows close in a couple of months.

Anyway, what I am finding is that the 11" pro and the 9th gen do a great job of minimizing fingerprints on the displays. I can use them quite a bit and only see a few fingerprints on the displays.
However the Air 5- even after just light use- is covered in fingerprints- as if it has no oleophobic coating at all.

Has that been the experience of others out there as well with the Air 5? I'm curious as to why it would be so different from the Pro or the 9th gen... Not that it's a huge deal, but just curious as it is a slight annoyance.
Just question. How do you see from eyes comfort perspective?

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Just question. How do you see from eyes comfort perspective
I am still trying to decide.
I admit I am odd, my eyes are quite sensitive, and I get frequent headaches even when not using these devices, so it’s difficult to tell what is happening when I use these.

but my initial feelings so far are:

-9th gen- mostly good, no pattern of headaches or eye strain when using it.
-Air 5- occasional dry eye feeling within minutes of using the device, and very mild eye strain.
-Pro m2 11”- no dry eye feeling, but slight discomfort around left eye when using. Too soon to tell if this would be persistent- I will continue testing.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am still trying to decide.
I admit I am odd, my eyes are quite sensitive, and I get frequent headaches even when not using these devices, so it’s difficult to tell what is happening when I use these.

but my initial feelings so far are:

-9th gen- mostly good, no pattern of headaches or eye strain when using it.
-Air 5- occasional dry eye feeling within minutes of using the device, and very mild eye strain.
-Pro m2 11”- no dry eye feeling, but slight discomfort around left eye when using. Too soon to tell if this would be persistent- I will continue testing.
Thanks! My eyes are also sensitive. I am very happy with the new M2 MBA screen. But I couldn’t read more than 1 hour with M1 /11” iPad Pro (or M1 MBA). Probably because of PWM, but not really sure though.

Reactions: arc of the universe

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thanks! My eyes are also sensitive. I am very happy with the new M2 MBA screen. But I couldn’t read more than 1 hour with M1 /11” iPad Pro (or M1 MBA). Probably because of PWM, but not really sure though.
Interesting- I had tried the m1 mba last year, too, and had to return it.
I have never used the m1 iPad Pro, but as noted, the m1 Air seems mostly OK.
I am going to use the m2 iPad Pro now exclusively for a week or so and see how it goes. I really would like for this one to work out, it’s an amazing device!
I get a bit of a discomfort around my left eye in the brief times I’ve used it so far, but to be fair, I’m so sensitive that it seems going to any new screen is a bit like that to start with, so I need a few days of extended use to see where I really stand.
I’m gladding to hear the m2 mba works for you!

Reactions: Isamilis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.