Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikoar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Hi there, long time lurker...new member today :)
Long story short, my trusty iPad Air 2 (2014 I believe) call it quits and left me on the hunt for a new one.
My use case is web browsing, remote desktop (vnc viewer), some light photoshop, youtube, etc.
The prices where I live are...crazy to say the least...I saw the iPad Air 5th gen somewhere in the range of 900 usd to 1400 usd for the 64gb model.
A friend of mine who lives in Europe is coming to visit in about a month or so, and he offered to bring me one from there.

These are the options that I have narrowed down.

iPad Air 5th Gen 256gb
iPad Pro 11 inch 4th gen 256gb

I know both are way overkill for my use case but since I intend on keeping the device for as long as possible, the question is: will I be missing out if I buy the air over the pro? I don't mind spending a little more if it will give me a better deal in the long run.

I know that the new 2024 models are just around the corner but my friend is coming in a couple of weeks and won't return for another visit for at least a couple of years, so I have to decide as quickly as possible if I want him to bring me one.

Any input is appreciated.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Biggest differences between the 2 is that the Pro has a 120hz Promotion screen and Quad speakers. The screen and stereo speakers on the Air 5 are still very good though. Overall the Air is best bang for your buck, but if your planning on keeping for 5+ years like your Air 2, then might be worth stretching your budget for the Pro and enjoy its extra quality of life advantages.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Biggest differences between the 2 is that the Pro has a 120hz Promotion screen and Quad speakers. The screen and stereo speakers on the Air 5 are still very good though. Overall the Air is best bang for your buck, but if your planning on keeping for 5+ years like your Air 2, then might be worth stretching your budget for the Pro and enjoy its extra quality of life advantages.

Yup, this. You won't get FaceID, ProMotion and quad speakers. That said, performance between the two should be very similar. Personally, I'm willing to pay extra for FaceID on iPad.

If you have any friends visiting from the US, though, you can probably get them cheaper than in Europe. Also, here's a nice middle ground between the two. I think this actually costs less than 256GB iPad Air 5 MSRP.

Reactions: snipr125

nikoar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Not the US sadly, he lives in Slovenia, I checked amazon.de and amazon.it, dunno if there is a better option around those parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.