Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Hi all-
Long story short is that I am starting my own consulting company after being laid off from my education administrative job of nearly 10 years, and will be utilizing Keynote for my presentation. The Keynote itself will be mostly assembled on my MacMini, and only minor tweaks, updates, etc. would happen on the MBP

I have a couple of questions for the road warriors out there.

•Which MBP would you suggest using for the actual Keynote presentation?
•Is the MB Air even worth considering?
•Though not needed right now, would the rumored extra power of the new MBP, whenever they are released, be worth it?

I am most likely going to go the refurb route because of cost.
Because of cost the 17 is not really an option.

Which projector would you suggest? I know nothing about projectors, but from what I have heard you get what you pay for.

Any other tips hints, suggestions, bashing, encouragement are more then welcomed.

Thanks

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Thanks.
For all the portability of the Air, it is certainly a lot more money. Since the new MacBooks and refurbed MBP is the same price, I was leaning towards the MZBP, just for the FW and keyboard, dark rooms the backlit keyboard may come in handy.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks.
For all the portability of the Air, it is certainly a lot more money. Since the new MacBooks and refurbed MBP is the same price, I was leaning towards the MZBP, just for the FW and keyboard, dark rooms the backlit keyboard may come in handy.

MBA comes with backlit keyboard as well, but as a user that have used the MBA Rev. B SSD, uMBP 15", and uMBP 13" for more than 4~6 months, I can surely say that uMBP 13" was the best choice for me so far.
Balance between the power+portability AND you get an optical drive which can come in hand at a really urgent situation.

And the space it takes for a MBA/MBP are kinda same... the weight difference wasn't as noticeable as some people claimed for me.

I'd say go for uMBP 13" :) looks nice enough, and light enough and more power+portability+outputs.
Can't go wrong with 2 USB's for presentations on the go :)

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. I think I am going to order the 13" uMBP for $999 from the Apple site, hey that $200 pays for part of a projector.

The Air looks sleek, and impressive when you walk into a room with it, but if I get a beach ball its not worth the look when I walk in, I want them to be impressed when I walk out.

Anyone have suggestions on projectors?

scottkifnw

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Trophy Club, TX
My MBA

I use my 1st gen MBA for Keynote presentations nearly weekly, and sometimes more. I put photos and videos in the presentations, use the transitions, and build ins. No problem whatever. I use an old Dell projector and it works fine.

Good luck.

Hi all-
Long story short is that I am starting my own consulting company after being laid off from my education administrative job of nearly 10 years, and will be utilizing Keynote for my presentation. The Keynote itself will be mostly assembled on my MacMini, and only minor tweaks, updates, etc. would happen on the MBP

I have a couple of questions for the road warriors out there.

•Which MBP would you suggest using for the actual Keynote presentation?
•Is the MB Air even worth considering?
•Though not needed right now, would the rumored extra power of the new MBP, whenever they are released, be worth it?

I am most likely going to go the refurb route because of cost.
Because of cost the 17 is not really an option.

Which projector would you suggest? I know nothing about projectors, but from what I have heard you get what you pay for.

Any other tips hints, suggestions, bashing, encouragement are more then welcomed.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.