Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEC60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Auburn, WA
Over the course of the last few days my wife and I have gone from the last version of iOS 11 to iOS 12.0.1 on three devices - her iPhone SE, my iPhone 7+ and my first-version iPad Pro (the big one). In general things looked to have gone pretty well until whe went to share a contact card with me last night via Air Drop. We soon figured out that our devices could not “see” each other unless we set AirDrop to “Everyone” rather than “Contacts Only” and even when one device could see another the actual transfer would fail with an immediate “declined” on the sending device and no response or input of any kind on the receiving device.

I got on Apple Support Chat and spent probably an hour working (or trying to work) the problem last night. This involved both first and second tier support folks.

I tried toggling AirDrop off then on again and restarting devices - with no change. I also learned that AirDrop between any of these three iOS devices and my MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar (running High Sierra) worked just fine, thank you.

At the end of chatting late last night I was left with a “we’ll have Engineering” call you tomorrow and we set up a call time.

This morning after we got sorted why they couldn’t get through to me on my land line (“Security Screen on CenturyLink”) I wound up talking to a first-level tech (again) and he walked me through pretty much the same stuff as we’d done the night before....and then decided that the next step was a restore all from backup - which I know from prior sad experience is a multi-hour-long process fraught with its own issues - something I was unwilling to do on three devices.

I kept asking him what this “declined” thing actually was telling me over and over and he couln’t tell me. Finally he passed me on to a second level advisor who was much less constrained by the script or whatever he had in front of him. So....I started off explaining the whole thing again, since in the course of all that the second level didn’t get that I was able to AirDrop with my Mac no problem from the prior guy.

After some more discussion he wanted to do “reset settings” - which is a little easier to recover from. So I opted to go ahead and do that from the iPad (since it would have less to recreate afterward). The upshot of that exercise was that AirDrop was now working between the iPad and my 7+ but not my wife’s SE. We called that progress and the fellow from Apple said he’d call back to check on our progress in an hour while I discussed with my wife about doing the reset settings on her phone.

We went ahead and did that on her SE as well and now have AirDrop working apparently in all directions (with “Contacts Only” as it should). We are still recovering from the erased settings - resetting Touch ID and passcodes, background screens, WiFi passwords (though the intra-device sharing there helped me get the passwords to both sides of our home network in the various places it needs to be).

As I write this my wife’s SE is spending an inordiate amount of time confirming her new unlock passcode (the old one was only 4 digits - no way to set that up directly from new) with iCloud but we otherwise have mostly recovered. When that finally breaks loose we can get more fingerprints and other stuff (like our choices of sounds for various actions) set back up.

Sheesh!

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
Broken for me too. I will simply not bother with Airdrop if it means resetting everything.

For me, it's simply impossible to enable it - I can not turn it on. Tried everything I can find (aside from reset) on the net with zero change. I do not even have Airdrop listed in Settings > General.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
I noticed that CarPlay was also not an option in Settings > General so I started researching from that direction. I found simple instructions...and both AirDrop and CarPlay are active. I never would have thought to look in Screen Time without this...

Step 1: In the “Settings”, open “Screen Time”.

Step 2: Turn on Screen Time if it’s already turned on then Locate “Content & Privacy Restrictions”.

Step 3: Enter required password.

Step 4: Scroll and find “Allowed Apps” > “Enable CarPlay“.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

i feel your pain.
it sounds like you have had a very rough time. sorry to hear that.

as someone who continues to believe in apple and the software-hardware working well together, i too am left sometimes to figure out by myself how to get it to "just work".

i really like Handoff and Continuity and Air Drop features.
i have had trouble at times over the years in getting these to work.
but they do work and it takes time to get them set up.

for Air Drop: after updating to iOS 12 Air Drop stopped working for me,
i knew from experience that, aside from turning on all the settings that are always mentioned, the ONLY way i could get it to work again was to log out of iCloud (on iOS). and then log back into iCloud (on iOS).

doing the above got Air Drop working to the extent that as long as i allowed "Everyone" then i was able to use Air Drop.

to get it to Air Drop for only contacts, I needed to really work very hard to ensure that the same identical card was on both the macOS device and the iOS device.
but i got it to work.

resetting networks does NOT work.
just doing the apple support document reccomended things does not work.
and just doing the same things that hundreds of help sites (that just spit out the same words as apple's support documents) does not work.

pls note that logging out of and then back into iCloud means that apple Music that was downloaded to yr iOS device might be deleted and you will need to manually download it back to yr device.
but as long as you have iCloud being synced then Contacts and Messages etc can be retained if you so indicate in the pop up menu that shows.

BEC60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Auburn, WA
Well....since the only change on the devices was the iOS update, I expected it to “just work” as well. There was no change to the contact information involved so the whole bit about having the other contact’s AppleID data in ones contact card didn’t really make sense (and it still doesn’t - what aspect of their AppleID info anyway??)

And as I’ve mentioned twice now - the iOS-to-MacOS and back aspects of AirDrop did NOT break. It was only iOS-to-iOS.

One of the consequences of “reset all settings” is that one has to log back into Face Time and iMessage again. Fortunately we didn’t have to mess with iCloud logging out and back....doing this is more invasive than just purchased music in my experience.

I want to add that even though this has been more than a little irritating (and in the case of the first phone rep I got today, frustrating) what would my recourse have been if these were Windows or Android-based devices? At least we did get some help.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Well....since the only change on the devices was the iOS update, I expected it to “just work” as well. There was no change to the contact information involved so the whole bit about having the other contact’s AppleID data in ones contact card didn’t really make sense (and it still doesn’t - what aspect of their AppleID info anyway??)

And as I’ve mentioned twice now - the iOS-to-MacOS and back aspects of AirDrop did NOT break. It was only iOS-to-iOS.

One of the consequences of “reset all settings” is that one has to log back into Face Time and iMessage again. Fortunately we didn’t have to mess with iCloud logging out and back....doing this is more invasive than just purchased music in my experience.

I want to add that even though this has been more than a little irritating (and in the case of the first phone rep I got today, frustrating) what would my recourse have been if these were Windows or Android-based devices? At least we did get some help.

I wish you well.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015

I had the exact same. Phone to Mac did work. However my personal Phone with my work phone did not work. Only if I set to everyone :-(

As you I have not made changes, with the exception of updating. I noticed it with 12.01, but don't know if it had been there with 12.

I didn't want to go through erasing settings or logging out of iCloud.

I indeed hat to delete the contact on each phone and I created the other phones contact (different AppleID, but family member) again. On one phone as local to the phone only.
This triggered it eventually to work again.

But I can't do that with each contact ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.