Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I Air dropped some music files from my Mac to my iPhone and saved them into Files. Is there a way to get them to play In the Music app? I was trying to avoid having to copy them into the music app on my Mac and then synching them to my phone.

Thanks in advance.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No. You can only use third party players or files app to play them. Apple music app does not allow users play music files without syncing or downloading from Apple Music or iTunes Store.

Reactions: stanw

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
No. You can only use third party players or files app to play them. Apple music app does not allow users play music files without syncing or downloading from Apple Music or iTunes Store.
Which is asinine. :(

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I am running Mojave. I tried to drag songs into the Music app and it did not seem to work. It use to work with iTunes, anyone know if there is some new way to copy music into the Library?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I am running Mojave. I tried to drag songs into the Music app and it did not seem to work. It use to work with iTunes, anyone know if there is some new way to copy music into the Library?

Should have worked, it’s still the same as always, either drag - as you did, or import them from the file menu - maybe give that a go.

Then if you have Apple Music, or the sync/cloud storage which I forget the name of, Match was it? They should appear on your iPhone.

What file type are they?

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
I used to download "rare" songs from YouTube, convert them from MP4 to MP3 and drag them to iTunes which in turn showed up on my Apple Music all the time.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I used to download "rare" songs from YouTube, convert them from MP4 to MP3 and drag them to iTunes which in turn showed up on my Apple Music all the time.
The key here is iTunes. One cannot just download songs To the phone and think they can be copied into Apple Music app.

Though I think I missed the iTunes part in my previous post. Thanks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.