Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is the "AirTag" a reliable way to track the stuff u attach it to? Are there cases/situations that it might not work well? Can i attach it to my car to track it if it gets stolen? Are there other similar devices?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
From the little I have read about them it seems if you want to find your misplaced or left behind (unstolen) items they seem to work as intended and fairly well.

If you are trying to track a stolen item then they also work as intended and the "anti-stalking" features limit their effectiveness. I think the car use could work really well if you can hide it where it cannot be easily found and disconnect the speaker (look on youtube for instructions). This way a car thief might know the airtag is following them and may be able to have an idea where it is but if it is under the car, hidden in the frame etc they can't get to it easily. I am considering small lock boxes that will be welded under the car for a couple of my classics. Otherwise any "smart" thief will simply wait for the following you message, locate the airtag and remove it.

Reactions: Euphoria2me

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I know Apple doesn't recommend tracking pets, but...pet tracking. Chances of a lost pet coming within range of an Apple device, especially an iPhone, are pretty good, especially in the US.

Euphoria2me

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
I use Air Tags on both motorcycles and two eBikes. I can see where they are with no problems. When I leave them behind in the garage, I set a GEO fence. If someone steals one, when they move it, I know and can track it in real time. I'm considering replacing my paid tracking service for my other equipment. It's a lot cheaper than paying monthly.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I have a few AirTags & have been happy with them. I use them during travel, and have one attached on my keys. They work as intended!

For the price point (I've purchased the single ones on sale) it's just additional peace of mind. If I lose my keys or luggage with an AirTag attached, I have a much better chance of locating them than without.

Last edited:

rentonyip

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2023
Califonia
Is the "AirTag" a reliable way to track the stuff u attach it to? Are there cases/situations that it might not work well? Can i attach it to my car to track it if it gets stolen? Are there other similar devices?
Of course, I did put an airtag in my car. I had heard that SMARRTTAG which belongs to SamSung did the same thing.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
One con for me is that AirTags might not work with my 6S+ … correct?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
One con for me is that AirTags might not work with my 6S+ … correct?
Only precision finding requires an iPhone 11 or higher.
Other than that, an iPhone running iOS 14.5 or later suffices according to the specs.
That includes the iPhone 6s(+)/iPhone SE 1st gen. Their hardware just can’t scan generic NFC tags.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.