Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
So if I put an Air Tag in my wallet with credit cards, will it wipe the data on the cards like a magnet?

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Possibly. AirTags contain a speaker (speakers use magnets) and at least one early review YouTube video has shown that they’re slightly magnetic. It will probably depend on how weak the card’s strip is. For instance, I used to have a wallet with a magnet to hold a leather money clip closed. It never caused a problem with any credit card. But any time I put a hotel keycard in there, it erased it.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Possibly. AirTags contain a speaker (speakers use magnets) and at least one early review YouTube video has shown that they’re slightly magnetic. It will probably depend on how weak the card’s strip is. For instance, I used to have a wallet with a magnet to hold a leather money clip closed. It never caused a problem with any credit card. But any time I put a hotel keycard in there, it erased it.
The reason why magnets erase stuff like hotel card mag strips is because they’re designed to be easily erased for reusing.

Same with paper train tickets quick writing on cheap magnetic strips. I always ended up wiping my train tickets by putting them in the same pocket as air pods

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.