Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themastermix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
hi all
i'm new to this forum and also new to apple products ..
i bought a macbook air 2 months ago , skipping the bla bla , my little 3 years sister was messing around the house and she messed with the notebook and it fell from the table on the floor and went off ,
upon starting the computer , it started normally with no weird sounds or broken material but with a reddish screen ...you can see the desktop but all the color are corrupted ,
i shut it down and dismantled it to see if there's anything detached due to the shock and after huge time and searching and researching i managed to notice a missing part near the screen cable plug on the logic board ...the following picture where the red mark is the part i'm missing :

i got a magnifier and tried to locate any info of the other parts which were still there with no use , i took it apple care center where they told me they don't do fixes they just install a whole logic board and it will cost me about 1K $ (i live in lebanon) ..so i just wanna know what is the type of this missing part and what are its specifications so i can find a similar part and manage to weld it in that place

sorry for this long thread and thanks in advance for any help

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
eBay will sometimes have whole logic boards for Apple products for cheaper than what you'd be paying for the Apple technicians to fix it.
Try searching around on eBay; I'm sure you'll find one. :apple::apple:

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
It seems more likely to me that the ribbon cable or its socket would have been damaged by the impact. A soldered chip or resistor seems unlikely to be dislodged.

Have you tried simply reseating the ribbon cable and powering it on?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
It seems more likely to me that the ribbon cable or its socket would have been damaged by the impact. A soldered chip or resistor seems unlikely to be dislodged.

Have you tried simply reseating the ribbon cable and powering it on?

Yeah - I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from comparing your board to photos of someone else's. Those sorts of minor components get removed/moved very often with each revision of a board. Bear in mind that one 'model' of Mac might cover several internal hardware revisions.

themastermix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
yes but if u look at the place this part is missing u will notice that there was a soldered part which was removed , u can see broken pieces of soldering , i have double checked the ribbon cable no damaged parts or any defect in the plug ....does anyone know the name and description of the part which is there
does anyone who have a macbook air take a high resolution picture of this part

themastermix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
i doubt since everything in the screen is working normally it's just missing a color so i think this missing part is for the missing color ...i'm just looking to find this part and if it didn't work then i will change the whole thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.