Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Normally why I take so many photos with my iPhone is I am reluctant to take my DSLR on flights. What advise would you all give to do this safely?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Safety as far as having the camera on you while somewhere foreign? or safety of the camera through the airport and on the plan?

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
If you are concerned about safety of having a DSLR on a flight, there is no issue. I keep mine in my backpack or laptop bag under the seat so I have access to it. If you are stowing it, just make sure it has padding around it to keep it from getting smashed or jostled. Keep all your batteries in your carry on to comply with regulations/policy. If that's not what you mean, we need more information to help.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
for safety - don't travel with obvious "camera-bag" style backpacks

for battery safety: not fully charged and if you search amazon for fire hazards + drone batteries cases there are cheap battery cases that are suppose(?) to be somewhat of a protective case in regards to battery fires. keep batteries separated from each other so they are not touching

Reactions: iAssimilated

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
I often fly with a camera (dslr, mirrorless, or other) in hand. Never had an issue. In fact I've been thinking about getting a rubber hood to make a seal at the window for making pictures.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I fly with ILCs all the time and never a problem, except for one TSA gentleman holding a somewhat pricey lens in his hand in fairly cavalier way. He probably couldn't see the bead of sweat on my furrowed brow :D. It's really just about taking reasonable precautions. For me, I have a variety of bags that I use, from small to larger, depending. Works great. Others may have different approaches. The aforementioned incident was the only time out of many flights I'd had someone take an interest.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Yeah, I am mainly referring to damage to the camera. Although all advise is welcome. Thank you!

I have brought my gear in both carry on and checked baggage. Just make sure it’s in a protective case and you’re good.

For my pro gear, it’s in pro cases. My Sony A7s and A7r are kept in a Pelican cases. My larger cameras are in professional camera bags.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I have brought my gear in both carry on and checked baggage. Just make sure it’s in a protective case and you’re good.

For my pro gear, it’s in pro cases. My Sony A7s and A7r are kept in a Pelican cases. My larger cameras are in professional camera bags.

As much as I don’t like harbor freight, their pelican knock off cases are pretty good, and plenty good if you’re forced to fly airlines

I have a small blaze orange one, it’s impossible to miss and sticks out compared to everyone else’s stuff

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I have no problem flying with my gear at all. It goes in a ThinkTank (they make many very good cases sized for carry-on regulations, and I'm sure other brands do too) and that goes into the overhead compartment.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
As others have said, no issues taking them on flights. One thing is that there have been some reports of damage to the camera due to being bumped whilst having a lens attached. By bump I mean a right good thump but consider this. Also the camera is typically less annoying to place in the bag without a lens.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Always carry mine on in a bag that stays with me.
Another tip I read somewhere was always keep your SD cards on you. That way if you lose your camera bag you still have your photos. Cameras can be insured but the shots you’ll never get back.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As others have said, no issues taking them on flights. One thing is that there have been some reports of damage to the camera due to being bumped whilst having a lens attached. By bump I mean a right good thump but consider this. Also the camera is typically less annoying to place in the bag without a lens.
Good advice. But it’s never one lens is it? We always need to pack 2 or 3!

• Haha
Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Always carry mine on in a bag that stays with me.
Another tip I read somewhere was always keep your SD cards on you. That way if you lose your camera bag you still have your photos. Cameras can be insured but the shots you’ll never get back.
Good point. SD cards are cheap nowadays, so swapping a new one in each day before heading out and putting the others safe means you would only lose a days worth of images should something bad happen.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
On trips where I wanted to have a camera but didn't want to necessarily pack a whole kit, I've been known to wrap a camera+lens in a sweatshirt and drop it in my backpack. I've never had an issue with damage and it also doesn't scream camera bag.

Note that if you take your camera in a carry-on and don't have TSA pre-check in the US, it will need to come out along with your laptop. If you have pre-check it can stay(subject of course to the whims of the TSA).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On trips where I wanted to have a camera but didn't want to necessarily pack a whole kit, I've been known to wrap a camera+lens in a sweatshirt and drop it in my backpack. I've never had an issue with damage and it also doesn't scream camera bag.

Note that if you take your camera in a carry-on and don't have TSA pre-check in the US, it will need to come out along with your laptop. If you have pre-check it can stay(subject of course to the whims of the TSA).
But if you pack your rocket blower they will empty your bag for sure!

• Haha
Reactions: kenoh

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
But if you pack your rocket blower they will empty your bag for sure!
Haha! I have never had anyone comment on a rocket blower. I've also never had anyone demand that I take my camera(s) out. I usually do it preemptively, but multiple times I didn't and it wasn't an issue.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
It has been a while now since I've taken a trip by air anywhere and so haven't experienced flying somewhere with my current gear and dealing with the current hurdles of going through TSA/Security checkpoints, but even when traveling to distant locations by car or simply remaining within my local area, when I've got more space and can pack as much as I want, I still never transport camera bodies with lenses attached. They are kept separate and then when arriving at a destination where I'll be shooting is time enough to choose an appropriate lens and stick it on the camera and away we go....

On any trip away from my home area, yes, included in the gear that goes along will be one or more external drives so that I can dump the contents of memory cards each night or at the end of a shooting session into one or more safe spaces, with the goal being having them also stored on the laptop and external drive along with still being retained on the memory card as well. Yes, the memory card reader is an important accessory to accompany me on any trip, especially if I am using both SD cards and CFE Type A cards, depending upon what gear I'm taking with me on a specific trip.

In my carry-on and if need be a second bag, the most valuable gear is there with me in the cabin, and the rest goes into checked luggage, so my Rocket Blower wouldn't be an issue at TSA/Security Checkpoint but it is still coming with me on any trip, regardless!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As others have already said, keep a camera with your hand luggage, so that it stays with you.

Whenever I have taken mine, it has travelled in my carryon luggage, which goes into the over-head bin, and is further protected by the fact that it travels snugly tucked up in its own camera case. I've never had any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.