Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
any rumors on an air update that will include the specs of the 13 umbp, better battery and trackpad?

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
not yet, the air was just recently updated with better processors and cheaper prices. If there was going to be an update it wouldn't be till 2010 Q1

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
The recent change was too minor. No new processor, only added the 2.13GHz option. Very minor corrections on the board and the temperature management. No changes in the case, in the screen, in the trackpad or the RAM.

Cutting prices is nice, but no upgrade. So I expect a new revision of the Air in October.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
not yet, the air was just recently updated with better processors and cheaper prices. If there was going to be an update it wouldn't be till 2010 Q1
Sorry but that's rubbish. I would barely even call it an update. No new processor just a slightly 'faster' clock speed that in real-world use throttled back so much that it is actually slower than the supposedly 'slower' processor speed.

A price reduction - forced due to the economy and to preserve the already low value for money the MBA represented - is NOT an update. What they offered was actually borderline insulting in comparison with the MBP 13" - the MBA is now a practically slower machine utilising the one screen model (out of three!) that was plagued the worst by line issues - in terms of perception, it would have been better not to release a rev.C at all. It's barely a stopgap, hanging on in the market by the skin of its teeth.

As for your prediction of 2010, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If there's no update by October (with increased RAM, SSD capacity, battery life, and display issues rectified) then I think we can wave goodbye to the MBA as a viable product.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I disagree. While the update is considered an update by Apple that will not suffice for the next 6-9 months. My guess is we'll see another boost, albeit silent, around the holiday buying time.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure its gonna get bumped up soon, but how high and how great of an improvement will be present, well, no one knows that (but apple).

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I disagree. While the update is considered an update by Apple that will not suffice for the next 6-9 months. My guess is we'll see another boost, albeit silent, around the holiday buying time.
Disagree with that particular point. I think they'd be insane to do a silent update - this one will need to be announced by a spotlit Steve himself, swinging from the flying buttresses of St Peter's in Rome.

neurobound

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
my first mac

I bought a MBA a few weeks ago, and sure - i'd love to have an updated version, but I'm extremely happy with this thing. I have an ssd drive in it, it's silky smooth and plenty fast. For just doing browsing and general day to day desktop stuff, it gives the perception of outperforming my 2.66 quadcore desktop. So, I'm not going to be doing any hardcore gaming or graphics on this thing, but it's an absolute pleasure to use when doing just about anything else.

We always want more, but come on - this thing is very attractive as is, unless all you care about is speed for speed sake.

Jabbamk1

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
London, England
I agree that the MBA update wasnt exactly and update but i do think that apple will not update the MBA till early 2010. The MBA has been selling quite well since rev c and people are still buying it. I think that it will be early 2010 before apple finally fix and add solutions to release a better MBA with all the things above.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think we are still waiting on the new high end MBA. I fully expect a 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM in a new high end MBA at a $2200 price tag before a true rev D MBA is revealed. I think we are waiting on the new SSD. But I could be completely wrong. I just feel that Apple had planned on the current high end as the rev C low end.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
why cant they put the glass buttonless track pad on the the air?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I've heard it was because the front part of the Air is too thin for the glass trackpad.

I think there are too many MBA cases and parts like trackpads in inventory and that's why we haven't seen a glass trackpad as it would fit but would cost too much to change it. Senseless if they have too much inventory. It's already big and nice.

Plus, how many more rev D MBAs will they sell by just upgrading the trackpad with a piece of glass that costs 20 cents but adds substantially in value. Like all the people who upgraded to the higher end MB for its lit keyboard for $300 more when it cost Apple $1 in LED lights.

Apple is genius at incremental updates! I have spent thousands for incremental updates that were immaterial in cost for Apple but shear genius in marketing to the added benefits!

Never underestimate what Apple has up its sleeve or why it didn't make the obvious upgrade now - it's all about small updates and a few at a time. Two updates in tech at one time means huge revenue losses for next revisions from us die hard fans.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I think there are too many MBA cases and parts like trackpads in inventory and that's why we haven't seen a glass trackpad as it would fit but would cost too much to change it. Senseless if they have too much inventory. It's already big and nice.

Plus, how many more rev D MBAs will they sell by just upgrading the trackpad with a piece of glass that costs 20 cents but adds substantially in value. Like all the people who upgraded to the higher end MB for its lit keyboard for $300 more when it cost Apple $1 in LED lights.

Apple is genius at incremental updates! I have spent thousands for incremental updates that were immaterial in cost for Apple but shear genius in marketing to the added benefits!

Never underestimate what Apple has up its sleeve or why it didn't make the obvious upgrade now - it's all about small updates and a few at a time. Two updates in tech at one time means huge revenue losses for next revisions from us die hard fans.

I agree, but first major flaws in design need to be worked out, ie. The Line, The Hinge, and the Airport Issues. Add a Glass Trackpad (which fixes the Bezel scratching issue, 4 gigs of RAM, and a 256 SSD and Apple has a sale).

As much as I love my 15" Macbook Pro, I miss my Air. The portability was just too good. I hope they fix the problems.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I agree, but first major flaws in design need to be worked out, ie. The Line, The Hinge, and the Airport Issues. Add a Glass Trackpad (which fixes the Bezel scratching issue, 4 gigs of RAM, and a 256 SSD and Apple has a sale).

As much as I love my 15" Macbook Pro, I miss my Air. The portability was just too good. I hope they fix the problems.

can you recommend a air over any of the umbp?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)

You forgot the placement of the vent interfering with being able to use the machine in your lap without taking steps to leave it uncovered.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
H1 2010 with Arrandale. Anything earlier is optimism or even wishful thinking.
Yet the majority here scoffed at the notion that Apple would bump any of the laptop range at WWDC. "The event has never been about hardware you poor deluded fools, always software" :rolleyes:

For a 'proper' MBA update, I'm sticking with October thanks all the same.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I agree that we could see an update around November or so. Hopefully it's a good one and I've got money at that time. Intel just announced their 34nm, 160GB, 5mm high, 1.8" SSD's (the X-18M), so if it's performance is close to what we've come to expect from the 2.5" series, I would much rather have that. So really, I'm just hoping for 4GB in a machine that has a SATA connector (preferably SSD until I can replace it with the Intel SSD).

Linky

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Yet the majority here scoffed at the notion that Apple would bump any of the laptop range at WWDC.
I'm pretty sure I've been saying spring 2009 for a while now (although I changed to August at the last minute), since that's the logical update date given Intel's CPU update cycle (CPU updates in late Q2 2009) (and Apple's average update cycle). Now with the MacBook Air, the logical update date given Intel's CPU update cycle is Q1 2010 with Arrandale, since there are no CPU updates before then.

"The event has never been about hardware you poor deluded fools, always software" :rolleyes:
They probably forgot the Mac Pro.

For a 'proper' MBA update, I'm sticking with October thanks all the same.
Stick with whatever you want, just like those who thought that the Mac Pro would get a 3.2 GHz bump at WWDC or so. I think there was a similar group claiming a "real" update to the Mac Pro in mid 2007 or so. I think there's a tendency after an underwhelming update for people to predict the next update will come sooner than usual and with all the features they thought were left out.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
So what could they update to? What chip exists that would go in it?

Did I mention anything about CPUs? What could they update in the short term? Perhaps exactly what I said earlier if you'd bothered to read that far back...

(with increased RAM, SSD capacity, battery life, and display issues rectified)

I'm pretty sure I've been saying spring 2009 for a while now (although I changed to August at the last minute), since that's the logical update date given Intel's CPU update cycle (CPU updates in late Q2 2009) (and Apple's average update cycle). Now with the MacBook Air, the logical update date given Intel's CPU update cycle is Q1 2010 with Arrandale, since there are no CPU updates before then.

They probably forgot the Mac Pro.

Stick with whatever you want, just like those who thought that the Mac Pro would get a 3.2 GHz bump at WWDC or so. I think there was a similar group claiming a "real" update to the Mac Pro in mid 2007 or so. I think there's a tendency after an underwhelming update for people to predict the next update will come sooner than usual and with all the features they thought were left out.
Honestly, I'm not sure where this belief that only a CPU upgrade is worthy of being termed an update, and that Apple's marketing is immovably welded to Intel's roadmap, came from. It's a bit ridiculous to be honest. There's plenty of stuff they could improve on the MBA without much perspiration.

I don't recall exactly what your stance was in late May, but all I do remember is a LOT of know-it-alls in this forum denouncing the mere suggestion of a refresh to the laptop lineup in early June as laughable. Those laughs turned to embarrassed silences soon thereafter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.