Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

I have a school iPad, which has an Airwatch MDM Profile installed so that I can't download applications such as, Snapchat, Instagram or any 17+ apps such as, Google Chrome and Gmail.

Basically I want to get these apps, no one likes restrictions, however when you install Snapchat, they get notified within 1 hour and the Administrator chases you down. 17+ apps cannot be installed, even if you do have them installed they are hidden from the homepage and unable to be seen.

If you remove the profile they also get a notification and the iPad gets wiped.

First I want to be able to use 17+ apps and maybe even get Snapchat and Instagram.

Any help much appreciated

louij2

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Also is there any way I can block outgoing connections to their server so that they can't track or see any details of my iPad as if it was offline?

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
The reason of MDM is to stop you from doing things that the school/company don't wants. As an administrator, I can say that the system does that for what it was meant for. And if you can overcome these restrictions, this is a security flaw and the MDM service should fix that asap.

I don't want the employees to use snapchat or Facebook either. So I've disabled them too!

Edit: to your question, if you stop the connection for a specific long time period, it should send the wipe the device code for the next connection of this device.

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
It's a bit stupid that apps like Google Chrome are blocked...

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This is an enterprise iPad thats been loaned to you. MDM profiles are designed to control what content you can access on this iPad. There is no way to bypass this security as its designed this way for a reason.

You would have to buy your own personal iPad if you dont want any access control.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
It's a bit stupid that apps like Google Chrome are blocked...
You know how Google makes money?
Google apps and gmail accounts where the first thing I've disabled.
Why not use safari? It performs better, takes less battery and is not tracking every single thing you make to show you more advertising. That's how Google works and I hate it tbh.

If you want to have such apps, there is no other way than talking to the enterprise IT.

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I just successfully installed Google Chrome, it is not an app that is tracked so my device is still compliant, I edited the .ipa so that it looks like it is another application. I am trying this with Snapchat and so far the only thing that is not working is changing the display name, but to do that I would probably need the Source code and to resign the app, which is not possible. Updates soon to come on Airwatch work arounds that need to be addressed by Apple and Airwatch...

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Also the iPad was never loaned to us we have to pay for it!!!

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
We pay for the iPad and they put restrictions on them, such as apps? Even though the apps won't even work during school so why wouldn't we be allowed them?

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
You should really talk to your school about this.

Our employees are getting company phones and agree that we can do these things. Don't know how your school handles it.

Reactions: ohio.emt

doerrmann

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Bump should the iPads we pay for have restrictions?

That's between you (iPad owner) and the school (resource owner). If you want to use the resources provided by the school, you need to follow their requirements. If you don't want to comply with their requirements, you can't use their resources. Whether or not anyone on this forum agrees that certain applications should or should not be allowed is irrelevant, unless that person is in charge of your school's IT department.

twistofmatt

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
As a Network Administrator at a school, I would suggest reading the Computer/Network Use Policy you probably signed to see what you agreed to before you pursue this any further.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Note that bumping threads is against forum policy and you can get in trouble for it.

I kind of agree, though. Having restrictions on a device that YOU paid for is ridiculous. I would definitely raise a huge stink about it.

If the school paid for it, then all bets are off; it's theirs. But if YOU paid for it, there should be a way to turn off restrictions, at least when you're not on the school network.

School administrators tend to be power hungry little dictators that love to run their fiefdoms with an iron fist, though. So good luck with that.

Reactions: louij2

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
If the school paid for it, then all bets are off; it's theirs. But if YOU paid for it, there should be a way to turn off restrictions, at least when you're not on the school network.

School administrators tend to be power hungry little dictators that love to run their fiefdoms with an iron fist, though. So good luck with that.
If he's using the school network and assigned a usage policy, then it's his fault not reading that thing.

Administrators are not dictators (I am one) because they need to make sure that devices where important informations are on, have to be secured and under control.

At least outside US companies have to make sure to be able to control devices that connect to the network.

It is not always as easy as saying "Yeah but I paid for it, let me do what I want."

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
The Administrator at our school admitted he is power hungry and enjoys placing restrictions on all of our accounts. We paid for the iPad and in my defence I would like to have apps, such as Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat, but then this should be okay because the apps shouldn't function at school because the Firewall Policy blocks us from accessing the servers. The only problem I can see is that the iPads can be used for some sort of Cyber Bullying etc on Facebook or any other Social Network.

louij2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I managed to install all the apps that I wanted by editing some App Store info about the app tricking Airwatch MDM into thinking it was another app. Also managed to backwards engineer the wifi password through a flaw in apples password store and iCloud

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.