Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Has Apple added a file size limit to Airdrop with iOS/iPadOS 17? I used to be able to transfer 8 gigabyte sized folders between my devices on version 16, but with 17 they get declined or fail. This is frustrating for managed devices where I don't have the content on my macbook.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's not a file size limit on AirDrop transfers. There are many things that can contribute to a file transfer failure.

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
It seems its more to do with files being in folders. If you archive them before sending it seems to work fine.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
A gigabit is only like 125 MB. Shouldn’t be an issue. Regardless, there is no size limit for airdrop.

Reactions: twanj

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Anytime I try to airdrop large videos or photos it seems to consistently fail every single time. If it even initiates the transfer; which it usually doesn’t. The only way it ever works is if I don’t select “all photos data” which of course is the setting that ensures the actual true original full quality file is sent over. AirDrop is a steaming pile of Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.