Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzkworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Hello guys.
So I have this issue for a while and I can't fix it and I desperately need help.
I can't transfer files from my devices to my Mac via Airdrop. The devices can't discover the MacBook.

iPhone 11 / iPad Pro 12.9 (3th gen) / MacPro 15 mid 2015 — All using latest OS

• I have no trouble transferring between iPhone and iPad. All works fine and fast.
  • I notices that sometimes Mac become visible only when I turn on BOTH iPhone and iPad. But Macbook disappears after a while.
  • Sometimes MacBook finds the devices after a while, sometimes finds only one of the devices. But quickly looses them after that.
  • Also in the rare occasions that I make it work, when sending files the progress bar stops on various occasions as if the connection has dropped and sometimes it continuous, sometimes the transfer just fails.
  • MacBook discovers one of my colleges MacBooks on another networks, but doesn't discover the MacBooks of other colleagues on the same network.
  • I've tried signing out from iCloud on MacBook and iPad (iPhone is relatively new so didn't try signing it out)
  • I've tried turning off and on wifi & Bluetooth on mac
  • I've reset PRAM and SMC on mac
  • All settings and permission are properly set on all devices
  • The firewall is turned off on mac
  • I'm using only one iCloud account on all devices
  • All devices are in the same network.
  • I've tried restarting all devices.

Guys has anyone had a similar problem?
Any other ideas on how to solve this?

Thank you

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
Hello guys.
So I have this issue for a while and I can't fix it and I desperately need help.
I can't transfer files from my devices to my Mac via Airdrop. The devices can't discover the MacBook.

iPhone 11 / iPad Pro 12.9 (3th gen) / MacPro 15 mid 2015 — All using latest OS

• I have no trouble transferring between iPhone and iPad. All works fine and fast.
  • I notices that sometimes Mac become visible only when I turn on BOTH iPhone and iPad. But Macbook disappears after a while.
  • Sometimes MacBook finds the devices after a while, sometimes finds only one of the devices. But quickly looses them after that.
  • Also in the rare occasions that I make it work, when sending files the progress bar stops on various occasions as if the connection has dropped and sometimes it continuous, sometimes the transfer just fails.
  • MacBook discovers one of my colleges MacBooks on another networks, but doesn't discover the MacBooks of other colleagues on the same network.
  • I've tried signing out from iCloud on MacBook and iPad (iPhone is relatively new so didn't try signing it out)
  • I've tried turning off and on wifi & Bluetooth on mac
  • I've reset PRAM and SMC on mac
  • All settings and permission are properly set on all devices
  • The firewall is turned off on mac
  • I'm using only one iCloud account on all devices
  • All devices are in the same network.
  • I've tried restarting all devices.

Guys has anyone had a similar problem?
Any other ideas on how to solve this?

Thank you

I'd like to know this too. Both my 2011 Macbook Pro and my 5,1 Mac Pro are flakey when getting a bluetooth connection to use airdrop.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Same problem with my mid 2012 MBP(10.14.6) and both mine and my wife’s iPhones(5S, iOS 11).

Sometimes they show, more often they don’t.

mzkworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Hey guys I've digged dipper into the issue and haven't found any solutions or any clues why this happens.
My best guess so far is that's something with the bluetooth but not really sure.
I've tried everything I've found on the internet so far.
The only thing I haven't is complete reinstall of the MBP, but this is my work machine and I'll leave this as a last option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.