Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EagleDrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Hey everyone,

does anyone know if there is a difference in fans and/or airflow in the 14" and 16" Macbooks?

I'm about to buy my first own Macbook soon (so far I've only ever had one that was given to me by my workplace) and while I really like the bigger screen of the 16", I prefer the portability of the 14" more.

But I wonder if the 16" has better fans / airflow during demanding tasks.

I can't find anything about this online so I thought someone here might have some knowledge about this.

TIA :) !

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The rate of air intake is not the main factor between each's heat loss efficiency, when we look at 2021 and (early) 2023 models, but their relative volume is. The sizes of their heat sink, meaning total surface area was the deciding factor it seems.

Assuming this time they didn't change anything in the chassis, you can simply find head to head videos of the previous models to get an idea. The topped out M1 Max 14" for instance "suffered throttling" to the point the upgrade seemed useless. The same config does not have that problem in the 16" chassis. But that said, it took concurrently pushing both CPU and GPU cores for the machine to run into that state.

To me, the 14" has always been a really flexible design, it gives you this small of a foot print while still maintain the potential in getting burst performances, which frankly describes most pro tasks. Of course you aren't getting sustained performance as good as the 16", or even the Mac Studios, due to physics. But if your priority is portability then that is that.

Reactions: EagleDrama

EagleDrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Thanks!
I'll look up those videos for the previous generations.

So if I decided to start gaming on the new Macbook (I'm really thinking of trying Baldurs Gate 3) it might make more sense to think about the 16", right? Because that would be 'concurrently pushing CPU and GPU'?

I'm with you on the size factor though, in the end 14" with an external screen at home is probably what make the most sense in my case.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Totally unscientific, but as an example, Football Manager 2023 on a 14" M1 Pro, I could get the fans to come on in the match engine. Very, very quietly, but definitely on.

FM2023 on the 16" M1 Pro... no fans.

EagleDrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Totally unscientific, but as an example, Football Manager 2023 on a 14" M1 Pro, I could get the fans to come on in the match engine. Very, very quietly, but definitely on.

FM2023 on the 16" M1 Pro... no fans.
Thanks!
Unscientific personal experiences is what I was looking for 😁

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I didn't even realize the new baseline M3 MBP 14" has only one fan like the 13" MBP it's replacing. I'm sure it's not too big of a difference (lil louder when it actually does turn on) but kind of a bummer to see them not just add the extra fan. Could make a difference when really pushing the system with editing tho, or running thru a raid on max graphics in WoW or whatever...may still have to consider the M3 Pro:/

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I didn't even realize the new baseline M3 MBP 14" has only one fan like the 13" MBP it's replacing. I'm sure it's not too big of a difference (lil louder when it actually does turn on) but kind of a bummer to see them not just add the extra fan. Could make a difference when really pushing the system with editing tho, or running thru a raid on max graphics in WoW or whatever...may still have to consider the M3 Pro:/

Pretty sure it will use more power if you're running on battery with the extra fan.

Hypermiling on Battery...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.