Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'Noob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2019
Hi

Currently i have at home an iMac from late 2015 with latest OS installed (Mojave 10.14.3)
I am in Japan and all the apartments in the building are using the same ISP with direct plugs in the wall. The iMAC is directly connected through one of this plug (giving it directly an IP address, no need for login/password with the ISP)

and the Airmac Express is connected with another plug, and is making the WIFI network to which my Mac is also connected sometimes . Why ? to access devices like the Printer for example (essentially thats it)
Other devices like Android tablets, or iPhone / iPad access the WIFI network

so everything was fine till now.

I just bought a Windows PC for my son. He wanted it for gaming, and didn't want a Mac

He wants a cable connection to the net, not the WIFI which has too much latency he says.
[anyway can't even access the WIFI lol]

I tried
(a) to connect with a LAN cable the Airmac express to the PC directly
(b) to connect with a LAN cable the Airmac express to an ASUS router (RT-AC86U) and from that ASUS router with a LAN cable to the PC

in both cases, if i try to ping to www.google.com, my requests are being timed out more than 50% of the time, and/or the ping is very high (like 500ms)

basic internet browsing is very difficult

case (a) is not very satisfactory because there are not enough slots I would need to change the AirMac Express location and i remember the setup was quite nightmarish, somebody helped me i couldn't do it myself.

can anybody help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.