Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elhoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Haha, I completely missed the part about the fact that you were on a cruise. :D

I've just found this thread while searching for info about gps use on various iPhones in Airplane mode. I'm a longtime Navigon user (since my 3g) and have relied on my generation one TomTom car cradle for years. I've had two subsequent 4s iPhones but have been reluctant to get later iterations because I've relied on the satellite boosters in the TomTom cradles.

I've used Navigon North America and Navigon Europe, the latter sparing me data and roaming charges when we're out of the US.

It's time to get another phone. I noted one person's mention of being in China years ago. Have others had success with Navigon in Europe using Airplane mode on an iPhone 5 or 6, with no additional booster?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I've just found this thread while searching for info about gps use on various iPhones in Airplane mode. I'm a longtime Navigon user (since my 3g) and have relied on my generation one TomTom car cradle for years. I've had two subsequent 4s iPhones but have been reluctant to get later iterations because I've relied on the satellite boosters in the TomTom cradles.

I've used Navigon North America and Navigon Europe, the latter sparing me data and roaming charges when we're out of the US.

It's time to get another phone. I noted one person's mention of being in China years ago. Have others had success with Navigon in Europe using Airplane mode on an iPhone 5 or 6, with no additional booster?

I would actually go another route.

The iPhone GPS does now work in airplane mode. Once the iPhone locates itself it will keep a lock pretty well for surface transportation.

The issue is still that initial fix. The assisted GPS in the iPhone can still take some time to acquire if it does not have a cell phone or wifi signal. If you leave it long enough, it will acquire the GPS signals on it's own, but can vary widely on the time. I can't give a good number, as I usually have cell phone service to assist.

I think a better solution is an MFI GPS. I have used several bad elf models personally, and they acquire in lest that 30 seconds even if from a cold location. You can pair them with whatever iOS device you want.

mirzaciulian

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
Guys,

iPhone 6, Airplane Mode, and Compass App.
I've opened it midflight. It showed me the GPS coordinates and current altitude.
Updated information appeared only if swyping rigth then left. So from compass to level and then back.

I did that while landing and the altitude was quite accurate, maybe a slight difference because of the pressure inside the airplane.

ebernet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Seattle, WA
No need to ponder anymore. According to Apple's web site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

"When Airplane Mode is on, you'll see
ios9-airplane-mode-icon.png
in the status bar of your screen or on your watch face. In Airplane Mode, these wireless features are turned off:

• Cellular (voice and data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
If you have a device with iOS 8.2 or earlier, Airplane Mode will also turn off GPS."

Reactions: Paco II

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No need to ponder anymore. According to Apple's web site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

"When Airplane Mode is on, you'll see
ios9-airplane-mode-icon.png
in the status bar of your screen or on your watch face. In Airplane Mode, these wireless features are turned off:

• Cellular (voice and data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
If you have a device with iOS 8.2 or earlier, Airplane Mode will also turn off GPS."
Unfortunately it seems they didn't really update it when the change happened and only some (considerable?) time after it.

Makemeister

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2017
I'm here right now because I was slightly freaked out seeing that my phone navigated me from home to work while on airplane mode. Trying to wrap my mind around what that implies as far as privacy. I almost feel like making a tinfoil hat.

Has iOS 8.3 changed airplane mode into keeping the GPS receiver active in airplane mode?

I put my iPhone & iPad into airplane mode, and turned off both the wifi and Bluetooth. I then went into my navigon GPS app (which uses an internal map database) and it appears to be able to navigate, without GPS warnings and showing 16' or 32' accuracy on the status page

(Wifi only positioning is way less accurate than 16' I believe, and with the wifi off it should not be able to use wifi trangulation anyway.)

Is this an undocumented change? Could anyone else running 8.3 confirm they can use the GPS in airplane mode as well?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm here right now because I was slightly freaked out seeing that my phone navigated me from home to work while on airplane mode. Trying to wrap my mind around what that implies as far as privacy. I almost feel like making a tinfoil hat.
The GPS is just a receiver (that gets data from the GPS satellites). Nothing related to privacy is really involved as no personal/identifiable data is sent out. It's like using a navigation system in your car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.