Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montalbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
So, AirPlay 2 looks/looked promising, especially since my current setup is AirPlay [and since apparently my Denon 4400 is going to get AirPlay 2 support]. Thinking about getting a Sonos One to replace the Phillips Fidelio Soundring I have in my bedroom. A few questions:

1. HomeKit still doesn't allow for anything music related in scenes/automations, right? [This is a shame]
  2. All of the AirPlay 2 talk seems to be about iPhone-sourced audio. I don't want that at all. I exclusively use a Mac with iTunes. Apparently there was an iTunes/OSX update recently that added AirPlay 2 support, but I can't quite understand what it does. What I would love is to say "Siri, play Mozart" [or at worst, "Siri, play Mozart on all the speakers"] on my phone, and have my Mac play Mozart and AirPlay it to whatever speakers it sees. Is this possible?
  3. Ideally, we'd combine 1 and 2 and I could say "Sexy time, Siri" and it would dim my lights, and start playing Barry White or whatever, but apparently that's too much to ask for.
Basically I don't care about any of the fancy features of AirPlay 2 (multi-room, groups, different audio sources, etc.). I just want it to be more robust than AirPlay 1, be able to use my phone/voice as a remote, and be able to integrate iTunes to scenes.

Does anyone else have similar use cases? Basically, how does HomeKit and iTunes fit in to all of this? Really appreciate any guidance!

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
Your #1 is really a shame. I’m curious if the Siri Shortcuts app will solve that issue, but to your point, is it tied to an iPhone or iPad and not just cloud based?

The big advantage of the Sonos service is that each speaker talks to the music service, it’s not tied to the controller device you started the stream from.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
1. Can't do it.

2. Updates offer paired HomePod support and control of multiple speaker groups.

3. Can't do it.

I would find it unlikely you'll ever get scenes that access your local iTunes library. MAYBE Apple Music but iTunes is a bit tricky since it expands outside of Apples ecosystem (Windows) and would require iTunes to allow access/home sharing from 3rd party devices (security issues).

iTunes and HomeKit isn't a thing. Future versions of MacOS offer HomeKit control and from there we might see some sort of iTunes thing but as of now there isn't much.

Do you currently use the remote app to access your iTunes library? You can select multiple speakers and set the volume but aside from that AirPlay 2 wont offer you too much. Unfortunately the features you don't care about is about it....lol.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.