Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I use Airplay to stream music to my appletv, but often enough audio cuts out completely and in the worst times, trying to airplay audio gets "cannot connect to AppleTV" error messages. Rebooting devices doesn't help. At the same time, display sharing to AppleTV via AirPlay (which also sets audio out to airplay) works fine.

What gives? What could be blocking one version but not the other? How do I even troubleshoot this?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Good questions. I've come to believe that Airplay isn't as straightforward as it seems it should be. You'd think it's always "just" sending the video and audio data stream from your phone (for example) over your local network to the Apple TV. However, from what I've read, in certain situations when Airplaying a display from an iPhone app it acutally sends a URL to the Apple TV, which downloads the video itself (i.e., the phone is not involved after the handoff of the URL). In this latter case it could result in better-quality video than if the phone were rendering the video and sending screen data to the ATV, and could be less-demanding of your WiFi network. Could this be happening? From what I remember this only happens when Airplaying from an iOS app that has the Airplay function embedded in the app... but I'm not sure.

What's the source device? Is it on WiFi or wired ethernet? How about the ATV -- is it WiFi connected? How are you testing display sharing -- from within an app, or from control center in an iOS device, or a Mac? (Keeping in mind the claims I make above, maybe try display sharing in various ways to see if it still works fine in every mode.)

It could be that the WiFi signal isn't "good enough." (I've had plenty of instances of dropouts while doing audio Airplay over WiFi.) Any chance that you can connect the ATV to an Ethernet cable, even temporarily? (I know you said display sharing works fine, but if an Ethernet cable fixes the audio dropouts, well, that probably tells you what you need to know.)

It's great when this stuff works, but sure is frustrating when it doesn't!

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦

"less-demanding of your WiFi network. Could this be happening?"

I dont think so, I have the box on AppleTV checked off for download separately, but not sure why this would kill Airplay...?

"What's the source device? Is it on WiFi or wired ethernet? How about the ATV -- is it WiFi connected? How are you testing display sharing -- from within an app, or from control center in an iOS device, or a Mac?"

Source is a Macbook. Both are on Wifi. Testing display sharing from MacOS.

"It could be that the WiFi signal isn't "good enough." "

The wifi signal isn't good enough for audio but good enough for audio+video? It's wireless AC, no other devices are affected, I'm within 10 feet of my router.

"Any chance that you can connect the ATV to an Ethernet cable, even temporarily? "

Negative, maybe to a bridge router...

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
The wifi signal isn't good enough for audio but good enough for audio+video?
I was suggesting that your audio+video test was one of the special cases where a simple URL is sent to the ATV, which would require next to no bandwitdth on the source device's connection. With your clarification, that appears not to be the case, so... no, I can't explain why the audio+video airplay seems to work and the audio-only doesn't.

Reactions: Lvivske
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.