Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AplUSAndmINUS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
Hi folks-

I spent awhile trying to figure out issues with sending audio from my Music app on Big Sur to my HomePods. I'm posting this just to add to the list of troubleshooting steps, as I couldn't find the resolution anywhere (just in case anyone needs this). :)

Story: My MacPro 5,1 Westmere (Mac Pro 5,1) runs Big Sur 11.2.3, which required me to disable onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to get it working (I removed the chips from the motherboard) which now, I only use wired connectivity. I also have a Mac mini that is used as a server to communicate to my various smart home devices using HomeBridge so I can set all of them using Siri and my iPhone.

Before doing a master reset and reinstall, I was always able to send music to my HomePod Minis throughout my home... but come to find out, it wouldn't work for me, giving me the error "Cannot find X HomePod mini." Steps I tried:

- Restart of all devices (macOS, Mac mini server, HomePod mini devices)
- Turn off/on Bluetooth capability and Wi-Fi signal checks
- Restart Music app (Music app HAS to be running to use HomePod Minis as a separate audio device on unsupported Macs... found this out recently).
- Check each connection, ensure it receives music from my MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Apple TV (all devices work as expected).

Turns out, a type of wireless connectivity is required in order to get AirPlay to work even through non-wireless network connectivity. Turns out, I had forgotten to plug in my Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle, which disabled AirPlay in Big Sur.

Plugged in the Bluetooth dongle, hard restarted the Mac Pro, bingo! Everything was able to work as expected.

Resolution: Ensure you have the capability of using AirPlay on your devices, even if not connected wirelessly to anything. You're welcome!

Reactions: Geoff777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.