Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
UK
XtremeMac have just announced the AirPlay FM transmitter for the iPod - looks like an excellent rival to the iTrip: no installation of playlists needed and doesn't cover the hold switch, both of which are annoying features of the iTrip, and the same model fits iPods and minis.

(I am not affiliated with XtremeMac in any way...)

adriantoll

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
Has anyone bought and used one of these yet? I'm getting really annoyed with my iTrip covering the hold switch - when I'm listening to it in the car and then go into the house I have to take it off, put hold on, then put the iTrip back on. Then, when I'm going back out I have to do the reverse... I also like the idea of the buttons changing the frequency rather than running the iTrip stations playlists - a real pain when driving along and you hit a local station.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
My iTrip churns through my iPod's battery charge, wouldn't an LCD screen just make it that much worse? On the other hand, it would be nice to have the option of seeing what station was being broadcast.

adriantoll

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
My iTrip doesn't go through my iPod's battery *too* fast. It's noticeable, but for what it does I'm not too bothered. I'm guessing that the display on this doesn't take too much power unless you're changing stations when there's a backlight. Has *nobody* tried this? :(

Late edit - my sister bought one of these for her husband's iPod and it was rubbish. If you're comparing sound quality between these two the iTrip wins hands down, and the increase in usability just isn't worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.