Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigEndian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
At work we are able to have MacBooks as an alternative to PCs.
These are managed with InTune/Company Portal.
Our IT department blocks AirPlay so we are unable to wirelessly share the display to for instance the large TV screens in our meeting rooms.
The explanation for this is that there are vulnerabilities in AirPlay so leaving it open risks our corp environment.

I can’t find any references to AirPlay vulnerabilities anywhere but they must exist and be quite dangerous as qI am sure our IT department wouldn’t make things up.

Is anyone aware of what these vulnerabilities in AirPlay are and should I be worried at home and also avoid using this on my iPhone? Is apple keeping this secret?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

cybersecPat

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
This is excuses big time. Business needs shouldn't be shunted for "security" that is just security theatre. They need to get a real security professional who knows what they're talking about.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Neither of those cited references have anything to do with the topic of this thread, AirPlay.

And even if AirPlay were vulnerable as described, all that would mean in the scenario under discussion is that the company would be able to figure out who is airplaying to their TV.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
At work we are able to have MacBooks as an alternative to PCs.
These are managed with InTune/Company Portal.
Our IT department blocks AirPlay so we are unable to wirelessly share the display to for instance the large TV screens in our meeting rooms.
The explanation for this is that there are vulnerabilities in AirPlay so leaving it open risks our corp environment.

I can’t find any references to AirPlay vulnerabilities anywhere but they must exist and be quite dangerous as qI am sure our IT department wouldn’t make things up.

Is anyone aware of what these vulnerabilities in AirPlay are and should I be worried at home and also avoid using this on my iPhone? Is apple keeping this secret?
IT worker here. They don’t want some idiot taking over the screen during a meeting, that’s all.

Reactions: chown33 and chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.