Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
When watching a video in Safari, I don't get the AirPlay icon in the lower right corner of the video. I can go to the home screen and then into the Control Center and turn on AirPlay to the device I want and then back to Safari, but that's very cumbersome. Why did the AirPlay icon disappear? Instead there is one that allows me to select subtitles or something like that. The same was true in the Videos app. The YouTube app still had the AirPlay symbol. Seems strange Apple would be purposely removing this.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I noticed this, too. I figured it was because I didn't update my ATV but I also have an Airport so the icon should have still been there.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Dragging this back up as I can't see any more updated topics .. I'm also having this issue, and it's ruining one of the main things I use my iDevices for. Also, I have intermittent issues where when streaming, if I close Safari it will some times stop streaming, sometimes won't. The same with if the phone sleeps, sometimes the stream stops, sometimes not. Very annoying

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I cant understand why Apple would have pulled direct AirPlay access from Safari. Especially with Google and now Amazon jumping in the dongle market with Chromecast/Fling. Apple should be making AirPlay as easy as possible. It's a pain to have to go out to the control center to turn on AirPlay and then back to Safari to start playing the video. And then the inconsistency of what happens if you try to go to the background or sleep the phone only adds to the confusion. Very surprised this wasn't addressed in 8.1.

LucyJH927

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Inha
When watching a video in Safari, I don't get the AirPlay icon in the lower right corner of the video. I can go to the home screen and then into the Control Center and turn on AirPlay to the device I want and then back to Safari, but that's very cumbersome. Why did the AirPlay icon disappear? Instead there is one that allows me to select subtitles or something like that. The same was true in the Videos app. The YouTube app still had the AirPlay symbol. Seems strange Apple would be purposely removing this.

I had the exact same problem. I found it annoying to connect from Control Center as everytime my iphone got locked, Apple TV disconnected. So I tried using Google Chrome instead of Safari and although I still connect to Apple Tv from Control Center, it does not disconnect when iphone gets locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.