Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I’ve been trying to get Airplay working to no avail the past few days from both my iPhone and iPad though Screen Mirroring works perfectly.

Here’s what I’ve tried based on research:
1. Tried all devices on 2.4 and 5Ghz.
2. Reset modem and WiFi.
3. Tried to both a TV and Roku.
4. Everything is updated

I can connect with the permission code. It sees the device. After choosing a device, I get the spinning icon but nothing else.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: Peter K.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I got it to work yesterday for a brief time. It showed some commercials then, as it was to return to the show, returned to the spinning icon.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Having all sorts of Airplay/mirroring issues. Used to work so effortlessly/obviously. First one is unrelated to Airplay, but ties in to the 2nd & 3rd questions regarding AirPlay.

1) Signed up for a month trial of Hulu via the Apple TV app on my iPad. Can’t access the Hulu content on the my Apple TV box or the Apple TV app on my Mac Mini or iPhone8. Signed in to the same iCloud/Apple ID. Does anyone recognize if this is a limitation from the Hulu trial, and not the AppleTV app integration across devices for the same ID?

2) Tried to stream the video from the AppleTV app on my iPad to a Roku device. Went to the Apple Airplay setup portion of the Roku device and added the Roku device to the Home app on my iPad. Streaming from the AppleTV app via Airplay? Nope. Home app on the iPad holds a connection to the Roku device for 10 seconds then disconnects.

3) Tried to airplay steam the Hulu content from the AppleTV app on my iPad to my Mac Mini to watch it on a bigger screen, surely that would be easy since in the past, it was instantly effortless to airplay stream from any iDevice to my 2014 MBA or 2006 Mac Pro. My Mac Mini does not show up in the available airplay streaming options on the iPad. Tried video mirroring, same thing. Signed into the same iCloud/Apple ID on both.

Is there some new AirPlay issue that’s fouling up what used to just work?

JayMac71

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
Had all sorts of issues with connection dropping and some devices not being recognised consistently (e.g HomePods)
Solved completely by turning off dual wifi settings on the router (2.4Ghz & 5Ghz). Selected 2.4 only and disabled 5. Now everything is instantly found and no drop outs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.