Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi all
Sending multiple .mp4 files from my Macbook Air M1 to an iPad 10. Both using most updated OS. When I select 4 .mp4 files on the MBA to send via AirPlay, the files successfully are received on the iPad, however, they're no where to be found in the Files app. Instead, it opens the Photos app - and only can see one of the .mp4 files, but not the other 3.

Question: where are the other 3 files stores and how do I transfer files into the Files app rather than Photos?

Thank you

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Not directly a solution but some thoughts:

- First, you are referring to AirDrop.
- For me, all three videos show up in Photos.app. But depending on the selected view of Photos.app, if the videos contain a proper timestamp, they are placed at their correct chronological place - meaning somewhere earlier in the timeline. Did you check that?

Two workarounds:
- To force an import into Files.app for multiple videos, you could select them on your Mac in Finder and right-click > Compress. Then AirDrop that Archive.zip to your iPad and be greeted with an option to use Files.app to open said archive. Then unzip it on your iPad in Files.app
- Or you could rename the files' extension temporarily on your Mac to something unknown like ".mpp4" and AirDrop them. Then on your iPad in Files.app rename them back to ".mp4"

Last edited:

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Wow that sounds so convoluted. Is there a way to transfer from a Mac and connect to the iPad as if it’s an external HD?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Almost:
  • In Finder, you can simply drop the .mp4 onto your iPad and it gets copied to it. Assuming compatible codecs, it will be imported into your "Personal Videos" on your iPad where it can be viewed (via the TV.app).
  • If you want to access the .mp4 files on your iPad with the Files.app, the steps are slightly different: In Finder, you need to drop the .mp4 file onto an app in the "Files" section of your iPad. Then on your iPad, you can navigate to said app in Files.app and move the .mp4 to your liking:

For file management on my iPad I use the paid app FileBrowser but you can drop the .mp4 file onto any app listed in the "Files" section - even Numbers.app.

Disclaimer: I am still on iPadOS 16 so I don't know if perhaps iPadOS 17 offers an option to directly copy files to the iPad's Files.app root storage.

Last edited:

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi all
Just found a much cleaner way to do this and updating here in case anyone has the same issue.
Solution: Enable Universal Control. Then seamlessly connect the iPad to the Macbook - then open Files on the iPad, then drag and drop -> done!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.