Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
I have a Naim Muso 2 and I find Airplay to be quite frustrating from my iPad Pro. In particular the YouTube app really struggles to connect and play (I mostly use it for music). It's marginally better if I route via my AppleTV which is cabled direct to the router. The Muso is also cabled directly into my (Netgear nighthawk) router but for the appletv I use optical out for audio to the Muso.

I have two MacBook Pros (one for work), and they both struggle with reliable Airplay - either dropping audio completely, or getting jittery over time.

I'm visiting my parents and they have a B&W Zeppelin which is even worse for Airplay reliability.

There's no point having such decent hifi equipment and then using bluetooth, although I note that I have tried several non-apple wireless headphones and they've all struggled (especially in crowded areas) so unconvinced that's the way even if bluetooth didn't drop a ton of the audio signal.

Question - does anyone have tips for reliable airplay? do you need to use all apple kit?

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I only have HomePods that I AirPlay too but they are largely rock soild. I think having stable Wifi is the key, I'm using an ASUS RT-AX86U for my Router.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
Update: It may well have been the firmware on the Muso. I've updated and it's a lot better - I'd almost say rock solid. After the latest iOS updates it almost became unusable. There's a lesson there, somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.