Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Does anyone experience this? When Airplay streaming music from my iPad to an Airplay device (Apple TV in my case), then simultaneously browsing in Safari on the same iPad, some websites will often auto play their audio and interrupt the streaming. Apparently there's no setting in Safari to disable audio auto play.

Last edited:

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
I do. Not just AirPlay but also any media playing on the device. I find this issue quite bothersome and frustrating, and it may even cause me to leave the website and never return.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It is unfortunate that iOS audio handling is designed to only incorporate one audio stream at a time. It really should combine the streams into its output to be more flexible. Mac OS is more powerful in this regard where you can play multiple audio sources at once. It can become chaotic, especially with auto play promos, but it gives you more flexibility.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
You might try turning on Low Power Mode which disables autoplay in Safari

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried low power mode and still no go. I tried previously to see if another web browser (like Chrome) might behave differently, but the same auto play issue there as well.

Last edited:

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried low power mode and still no go. I tried previously to see if another web browser (like Chrome) might behave differently, but the same auto play issue there as well.
I think Firefox blocks auto-play. I'm not sure but it might be worth checking.

Reactions: arw and Tagbert

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
While it doesn't prevent videos from playing (muted), you could try the following setting:
Settings > Accessibility > App-specific settings > #Add Safari# > Auto. video preview > Off
But yes, this limitation of customizability is really annoying.
EDIT: It seems like iPadOS Firefox (although based on WebKit) is now actually able to disable auto-play (in new tabs).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Thanks to both for good suggestions.

While it doesn't prevent videos from playing (muted), you could try the following setting:
Settings > Accessibility > App-specific settings > #Add Safari# > Auto. video preview > Off
But yes, this limitation of customizability is really annoying. And as all iOS/iPadOS browsers must use WebKit, they all suffer from the same shortcomings.

Unfortunately even with this setting, auto play still interrupts music streaming. I even rebooted the iPad to no avail.

I think Firefox blocks auto-play. I'm not sure but it might be worth checking.

I haven't tried Firefox yet, but next thing to give a go.
UPDATE: These apparently are settings for Firefox on Mac. The IOS version of Firefox doesn't seem to offer this option. Bummer!

Last edited:

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
This problem still persists. The Accessibility settings on every app to switch autoplay off do nothing. Seems if you want to listen to music over Airplay then you can’t use your phone / iPad for anything else. C’mon Apple this is crazy.

Firefox under IOS is no better btw (the only setting I could find to do with Firefox autoplay was under Accessibility - which I’m guessing is an IOS parameter that doesn’t work, so even if the App can act on the setting it makes no difference).

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This problem still persists. The Accessibility settings on every app to switch autoplay off do nothing. Seems if you want to listen to music over Airplay then you can’t use your phone / iPad for anything else. C’mon Apple this is crazy.

Firefox under IOS is no better btw (the only setting I could find to do with Firefox autoplay was under Accessibility - which I’m guessing is an IOS parameter that doesn’t work, so even if the App can act on the setting it makes no difference).
Since all browsers on iOS are required to just be a wrapper around a safari web view, it is not surprising that others behave in the same way and do not give you additional controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.