Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Airplay has caused a lot of frustration these last few weeks...

• Using an iPad Air 2 with iOS9 and an iPhone 4 with iOS7 - Issue happens on both devices.
• Airplaying content to the latest Apple TV 4
• Apple TV's aerial screensaver starts and at that moment the airplay from the device stops.
• Airplay output on the device is unchecked, take a couple more tries to play it and screensaver goes black. Airplay resumes but screen still black.

There are other issues with airplay as well where it will just stop playing. Many times when I have to hit the airplay button on my iPhone/iPad about 3-5 times before it sticks and plays without cutting out.

A big reason why I upgraded to ATV4 was for airplay, nothing but problems so far :(

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Airplay has caused a lot of frustration these last few weeks...

• Using an iPad Air 2 with iOS9 and an iPhone 4 with iOS7 - Issue happens on both devices.
• Airplaying content to the latest Apple TV 4
• Apple TV's aerial screensaver starts and at that moment the airplay from the device stops.
• Airplay output on the device is unchecked, take a couple more tries to play it and screensaver goes black. Airplay resumes but screen still black.

There are other issues with airplay as well where it will just stop playing. Many times when I have to hit the airplay button on my iPhone/iPad about 3-5 times before it sticks and plays without cutting out.

A big reason why I upgraded to ATV4 was for airplay, nothing but problems so far :(

Doesn't have this problem. The fact that the screensaver started on AirPlay tell me that the system thought there's no content playing.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
what are you air playing? audio or video?

even though they have the same name, they are technically fairly different.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Doesn't happen to me -- the screensaver doesn't kick in if I'm using AirPlay.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have been having a problem with Airplaying music from iTunes. I start a local radio stream from iTunes and after a few minutes (around 5?), Apple Music from the aTV kicks in. I then have to stop that on the aTV, choose "Computer" (for audio) in iTunes and then switch Airplay back on to Airplay from iTunes to the aTV4.

Think this could be related? I don't have the tv on while doing this, so not sure if the screen saver is kicking in.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Doesn't have this problem. The fact that the screensaver started on AirPlay tell me that the system thought there's no content playing.

Actually this always happens when playing audio via the apple tv airplay. It's nice background to see while just listening to music. I believe theres an option to allow audio and screensaver playback (there was with apple tv 2)

It might be the fact it's the video screensaver maybe...
[doublepost=1452806920][/doublepost]
what are you air playing? audio or video?

even though they have the same name, they are technically fairly different.

Both, always happens with apples default music app, also with youtube and soundcloud.
[doublepost=1452806953][/doublepost]
Doesn't happen to me -- the screensaver doesn't kick in if I'm using AirPlay.

hmmm, there might be a setting to allow the screensaver during audio playback
[doublepost=1452807016][/doublepost]
I have been having a problem with Airplaying music from iTunes. I start a local radio stream from iTunes and after a few minutes (around 5?), Apple Music from the aTV kicks in. I then have to stop that on the aTV, choose "Computer" (for audio) in iTunes and then switch Airplay back on to Airplay from iTunes to the aTV4.

Think this could be related? I don't have the tv on while doing this, so not sure if the screen saver is kicking in.

Hmm, it could be related, but in the regard that airplay is buggy

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The screensaver only come on when you pause a video. As long as you are air playing it shouldn't turn on.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Actually this always happens when playing audio via the apple tv airplay. It's nice background to see while just listening to music. I believe theres an option to allow audio and screensaver playback (there was with apple tv 2)

Oh.. I thought you talked about video airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.