Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgnesBlanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
Hi everybody.

I have some issues with airplay on my macbook pro 16" and i really can't figure it out...

I recently bought an apple TV and all i want is to use airplay to display videos and stuff on my tv from my mac. I have all my gear updated and an excellent internet connexion, even on wifi (around 500Mbps, stable).

All videos from my mac just stutter a lot when displayed via apple tv airplay. I can't understand why and have tried everything I could (reset completely my mac, my apple tv, try to use very very low resolution, numerous reset of the router, etc.). I have also contacted apple assistance and they don't seem to know what to do.

Note that on my iphone, however, there is no problem at all. From this device, videos looks fine on TV, but at the only condition that "match rate" and "match range" options are both activated on apple TV settings. If not, videos stutter too.

I don't understand why these options fix the stutter problem on my old iphone but not on my MBpro. (edit : I have tested with another old macbook pro, the same issue is here too).

If someone have already encounter such issues and have a solution, I would be grateful...

Thank you!

AgnesBlanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
I just tried it with the speedtest app on the apple tv. DL speed is about 110 mbps. It is way lower than on my macbook but still enough i guess, considering all the other app and videos works perfectly fine on the apple tv without any trouble.

AgnesBlanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
How have you verified this on the Apple TV?
edit : even with ethernet connexion (speedtest around 900Mbps on the apple TV) the stuttering problem is still here. So it seems the connexion is not to blame...

AgnesBlanko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2022
Try using Home Sharing via the Computers app on the Apple TV rather than airplaying. I find that works better for me.

Thanks for your answer!

I don't really want to share my library, which is basically empty. I want to use my TV as a second screen where I can put videos from any source (google chrome, VLC, etc.) while still working on the first screen directly on the macbook.

Is there a way to do so with homesharing?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Thanks for your answer!

I don't really want to share my library, which is basically empty. I want to use my TV as a second screen where I can put videos from any source (google chrome, VLC, etc.) while still working on the first screen directly on the macbook.

Is there a way to do so with homesharing?
Unfortunately not. Home sharing only plays your library. Another option would be use the TV as an external monitor for the MBP.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I have a similar issue. Mine is primarily with screen mirroring, but sometimes happens with AirPlay video too.

It feels like it’s an Apple TV networking issue, like with how many packet buffers it uses or something.

I’ve also tried connecting my Apple TV to a mesh access point via Ethernet to solve it but it doesn’t help.

I have a Netgear Orbi 750 mesh network with 3 satellites ( home is 2 levels and 3,800 sq ft )

My Apple TV is the 4k 2nd gen, and my phone is a 13 Pro, so all are using Wi-Fi 6 (ax) and have very good connections.

AirPlay seems like another half-baked feature that Apple releases, then never fixes the bugs 😕

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.