Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennisein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anybody knows if Developers will be able to put (iOS like) AirPlay support in their Third-Party Apps? (i.e. mplayerx ->send to Apple TV).

Also, I was wondering if there will only be the possibility of mirroring your Mac's desktop or if it will also be possible "extend" your Mac's desktop to your TV.

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Also, I was wondering if there will only be the possibility of mirroring your Mac's desktop or if it will also be possible "extend" your Mac's desktop to your TV.
Airplay is only mirroring. It is not extended desktop - you need to use an external video port (like the TB port) for more finer control. Airplay though doesn't use the video hardware in the same fashion.

tomd89

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
From the screenshots I've seen AirPlay works system wide, so when you have connected to your Apple TV or Airport speakers in the menu bar all system sound will be streamed regardless of what application is being used. I may be wrong but this is what it looked like

bennisein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for your answers.

But the question remains if AirPlay will be available for Third-Party Applications (In a way that I can directly send an applications A/V to the Apple TV so I will still be able to surf the internet while watching something on my HDTV)

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Thanks for your answers.

But the question remains if AirPlay will be available for Third-Party Applications (In a way that I can directly send an applications A/V to the Apple TV so I will still be able to surf the internet while watching something on my HDTV)

I assume that if I understand correctly, yes there will be the same thing tht the iPhone has where you can mirror the display exactly but when you want to stream a movie from Mplayerx or QT etc that there will be a specific option to do so.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Does Reminders work full screen?

For the screen shots, it looks like it does not?

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
A random thought on AirPlay ... Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil allows you to Airplay sound to & from Macs when you wouldn't usually be able to. They have some other interesting audio apps as well, like RadioShift

Just thought I'd mention it ...

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I personally think $25 for Airfoil is a robbery. Somehow other developers are able to include Airplay capability in their software for, essentially, free (see ClickToPlugin for example).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.