Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
I'm not certain if this relates to the firmware on iPadOS/iOS 13 or HomePod, but I used to be able to airplay just audio to my HomePod and watch video on my iPad Pro 11 or iPhone 11 Pro. Now if I use any app: Spectrum, Infuse Pro, Apple TV+, anytime I select one of my HomePod's to play just the audio the video stops on my device as it seems to assume the HomePod is a video device and not just audio.

Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: On these particular HomePods I have not updated the firmware as I want to keep the audio from the initial release. This worked with any HomePod no matter the HomePod firmware. This seems to have changed with iPadOS/iOS as that is the only factor I have isolated. In earlier iPadOS/iOS 13 firmware this behavior didn't occur.

Is there perhaps another option or way to just airplay the audio to the HomePod?

EDIT 2: Ok this is odd. I noticed that certain apps DO still airplay just the audio from my iPad or iPhone while others, specifically, Spectrum's TV App, stop video when connected to a HomePod. Very odd.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.