Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Since a couple of months my Apple TV 4K (2) would stutter every couple of minutes (sometimes even less then that) when airplaying videos, be it from my MacBook Pro or from my iPhone or iPad; the source didn't matter: if I airplay video, the video wouldn't be smooth but pauze for seconds repeatedly. I used two original generation HomePods as the audio out.

I thought something was wrong with my Apple TV, but since a new one came out a couple of weeks ago, I decided to just replace the whole setup: new Apple TV, new HomePods.

Same thing... I started looking around in frustration, resetting the Apple TV, resetting the HomePods, etc. when suddenly I noticed that it does not stutter when the television's built in audio is selected as audio out...

Has anyone else noticed this? It happens with both my older Apple TV and HomePods, as with the new ones, so I guess I can't be the only one? It also only happens when Airplaying, not when streaming from any streaming app on the Apple TV.

Reactions: Barbareren

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I recall seeing someone post about a known Ethernet bug with AirPlay. I wonder if this is what it happening to you?

Or maybe sone other network related issue, like latency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.