Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Someone else posted a link on here the other day so I picked these up cause I'm just a geek for wireless headphones... anyway been using them for the last 2 days. OMG...

Thermaltake Luxa2

I'm sure going to be returning my Airpods... At $40 on Amazon vs $160 for the Airpods these are a WAY better buy. The only caveat is the frequent charging, they have 6 hour battery life and no charging case. The range is about the same on them and I've had them cut out one ear at a time a couple times more often than the Airpods but that was in a place with a lot of interference. This being my 4th pair of truly wireless earbuds they fit my needs perfectly for the gym and they don't slip at all.

There IS a little bit of a latency issue on my iPhone but on my iPad the mouth syncs up with no issue. Not sure why this is.

Sound quality is superb (not too far off from the Airpods with EarSkinz attached which give it extra bass and volume) and they are super comfortable. Also they are louder than the Airpods.

I can't compliment these enough though. Get some to go WITH your AirPods if you want a great pair of work out headphones... if only they had the W1 chip they would be perfect.

UPDATE: I do not know how they microphone sounds... I never really use them much but I'd assume it sounds like crap like most bluetooth headphones mics... the Airpods worked well and sounded good though FYI.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleRobert

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
On second thought maybe I will try them, did not know you would return the Airpods and use this instead. That speaks volumes, and I need better volume from the Airpods. Not everything I listen to comes in loud enough with the Airpods and I do not plan on conceding what I want to listen to just to use the Airpods.

Reactions: MrXiro

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
On second thought maybe I will try them, did not know you would return the Airpods and use this instead. That speaks volumes, and I need better volume from the Airpods. Not everything I listen to comes in loud enough with the Airpods and I do not plan on conceding what I want to listen to just to use the Airpods.

Yeah. They are definitely worth it. I'm blown away by how good they sound... they aren't audiophile quality but they have a good V shaped sound signature like good bass-y buds.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah. They are definitely worth it. I'm blown away by how good they sound... they aren't audiophile quality but they have a good V shaped sound signature like good bass-y buds.

Do they cancel out noise decently?

What else did you try? I think the icon x are better for music but battery life sucked.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Do they cancel out noise decently?

What else did you try? I think the icon x are better for music but battery life sucked.

They are in ear so they cancel out about 85% of ambient noise or so... just an estimate. But like most IEM type buds they block out most noise. I have no idea how they sound on the phone though as I haven't called anyone on them. But I'm going to assume they are terrible for that. I've rarely had good experience with good noise cancelling mics on wireless headphones.

I never tried the ICON X cause they were Android only... but I have something like 15 pair of bluetooth headphones and these sound and feel as good if not better than those PowerBeats knock offs on Amazon like the Otium only these are completely wireless.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Can these work independently? Definitely an interesting solution.

I absolutely love my new AirPods, and plan to use them one earbud at a time on ultramarathons since the charging case is so tiny... but I'd have loved a pair of these before. I kept buying garbage $20-$40 "wired" bluetooth headsets that all pretty much stink.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Can these work independently? Definitely an interesting solution.

I absolutely love my new AirPods, and plan to use them one earbud at a time on ultramarathons since the charging case is so tiny... but I'd have loved a pair of these before. I kept buying garbage $20-$40 "wired" bluetooth headsets that all pretty much stink.

Yes you just turn on one. And like the Airpods BOTH are paired to the phone at the same time... but just the traditional way... as in without the W1 features.

IMG_8201.jpg
L is for Left and R is for Right

Reactions: tekchic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.