Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TefaTBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Anyone here on any of the 11.1 betas notice their AirPods audio stopping while the audio itself is still playing?

I've been having a strange glitch while playing music to my AirPods when the screen is locked, where the phone just stops sending audio to the AirPods, even though it's still actually playing in whatever app. I've seen it happen in iTunes, Spotify, and iBooks. The audio will stop, the phone will become unresponsive for a few seconds, and when the screen does come on I can see that the audio is still playing, but with no output. Cycling to phone output and then back to AirPods fixes the playback, until it happens again.

I understand it's a beta, and I've submitted reports, just curious if anyone has seen similar?

Reactions: jjamesv

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Yes I’ve seen this about 3-4 times on beta 11.1.

I’ve not reported it yet but it’s as you describe - audio stops abruptly, checking your phone they show the AirPods icon on the status bar and the time of the song is still ticking along normally.

Reactions: jjamesv

TefaTBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Yes I’ve seen this about 3-4 times on beta 11.1.

I’ve not reported it yet but it’s as you describe - audio stops abruptly, checking your phone they show the AirPods icon on the status bar and the time of the song is still ticking along normally.

Yep, that's exactly it. Cant figure out what sets it off either. Oddly enough, it seems to not happen (or not as much) if the phone is bottom down (speakers pointing down). Normally when I'm holding it, and move to put in my pocket etc, I end up putting it in upside down because of how I was holding it, and shortly after, the glitch happens.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Yup, happens here, but not just on Airpods. It happens on BeatsX and on my car Bluetooth as well.

TefaTBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
As far as I can tell, this stopped happening in beta 4 that came out a couple days ago.

Reactions: KrisLord

dypeterc

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Anyone here on any of the 11.1 betas notice their AirPods audio stopping while the audio itself is still playing?

I've been having a strange glitch while playing music to my AirPods when the screen is locked, where the phone just stops sending audio to the AirPods, even though it's still actually playing in whatever app. I've seen it happen in iTunes, Spotify, and iBooks. The audio will stop, the phone will become unresponsive for a few seconds, and when the screen does come on I can see that the audio is still playing, but with no output. Cycling to phone output and then back to AirPods fixes the playback, until it happens again.

I understand it's a beta, and I've submitted reports, just curious if anyone has seen similar?
I've heard a Reset All Settings fixes this in Beta 4. Trying it now.

Biga8806

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
Any update to this issue? I started having this exact problem recently with my iPhone 7 Plus and my AirPods. The phone is running IOS 11.4 and the AirPods run 3.7.2. I’ve tried everything mentioned but have no luck. I just noticed mine will do it more if I set my phone face down. I might have to visit the Apple Store if it continues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.