Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
My right Airpod pro 1 is making a very noticeable and annoying vibration/crackling noise when I listen to something with high bass.

I’ve contacted Apple support and done all the things necessary to see if I can fix it, but now the only option is to go and get them tested and fixed, which I don’t want to do since I know it’ll cost a lot of money.

My question is what are the lower end market wireless earbuds like? The ones that sell for $30-$60? There are quite a few brands in that price range and I was wondering if they’re complete crap, or if they actually get the job done.

All I really need is something that plays sound, noise cancellation is great, but I’m sure it’s something humans can learn to live without. I have seen a few reviews that say they don’t charge or connect very well. I just wanted to know your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you.

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Apple already issued a recall for the AirPods that have crackling/rattling sound. It is a known issue since ~2020. They have a page on the website somewhere about it. But there is a very specific process you follow with the support team and you will be sent a free replacement

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My right Airpod pro 1 is making a very noticeable and annoying vibration/crackling noise when I listen to something with high bass.

I’ve contacted Apple support and done all the things necessary to see if I can fix it, but now the only option is to go and get them tested and fixed, which I don’t want to do since I know it’ll cost a lot of money.

My question is what are the lower end market wireless earbuds like? The ones that sell for $30-$60? There are quite a few brands in that price range and I was wondering if they’re complete crap, or if they actually get the job done.

All I really need is something that plays sound, noise cancellation is great, but I’m sure it’s something humans can learn to live without. I have seen a few reviews that say they don’t charge or connect very well. I just wanted to know your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you.
This is the entire thread about this problem: AirPods Pro: Rattlegate
Apple issued a repair extension that covers many of these so you should start with that because the repair/replacement may be free: https://support.apple.com/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues

Reactions: msackey and hch720

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

Unless the Apple Store is inconvenient for you to get to, getting them tested in the store won't cost you a thing.

My original AirPods Pro also had crackling issues...

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Apple already issued a recall for the AirPods that have crackling/rattling sound. It is a known issue since ~2020. They have a page on the website somewhere about it. But there is a very specific process you follow with the support team and you will be sent a free replacement
I saw that but my airpods dont qualify as they were produced after 2020.

• Sad
Reactions: hch720

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
UPDATE: just went to the apple store, they tested both airpods and there were problems with both speakers, aaaaannnnnd replaced them for free even though they are almost a year out of warranty thanks to Australian consumer law. I tried to see if I could pay an extra fee and get the airpods pro 2, but wasn’t allowed. Oh well can’t win them all.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Wow these sound amazing, clearly the sound quality, especially the bass declines as you use airpods over time. The noise cancellation is like 3 times more power than my old ones. I’m absolutely stoked about what has happened today!!!!!

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Your airpods had the crackling sound in two pairs? Either very unlucky or this occurs a lot.
No. It only occurred one side at a time and I can’t recall if it was on the same side. When Apple replaces the pod, it only replaces the side that has the issue, not the entire pair unless both pods have problem.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I have the same (or at least a very similar) issue. The worst part is that I can't really hear it--except for when I initially put the AirPods in my ears--but if I'm on a call, the people on the other end have been consistently complaining that they can hear loud static the whole time, so my AirPods have become all but useless for hands-free calls.

I got mine December 2019 for Christmas that year so they should qualify for the extended repair program. I made an appointment at a local genius bar for next week and we'll see what they can do.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
I have the same (or at least a very similar) issue. The worst part is that I can't really hear it--except for when I initially put the AirPods in my ears--but if I'm on a call, the people on the other end have been consistently complaining that they can hear loud static the whole time, so my AirPods have become all but useless for hands-free calls.

I got mine December 2019 for Christmas that year so they should qualify for the extended repair program. I made an appointment at a local genius bar for next week and we'll see what they can do.
Im guessing youll get s replacement, do you hear whirring sound when you put your air pods in?

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
My OG pro’s been “rattling” and “crackling” for quite a while now and was hoping one of those firmware updates would fix them but to no avail.

My question is, has anyone took their pods to Best Buy to get them replaced as opposed to Apple? Best Buy is 10 minutes away and Apple Store is 45 minutes away. I’d rather take them to Apple but if there’s no difference in service between the two, it’s a no brainer to go to 10 minutes away Best Buy.

Hope to hear from someone with experience getting their AirPods Pro’s replaced at Best Buy

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
My OG pro’s been “rattling” and “crackling” for quite a while now and was hoping one of those firmware updates would fix them but to no avail.

My question is, has anyone took their pods to Best Buy to get them replaced as opposed to Apple? Best Buy is 10 minutes away and Apple Store is 45 minutes away. I’d rather take them to Apple but if there’s no difference in service between the two, it’s a no brainer to go to 10 minutes away Best Buy.

Hope to hear from someone with experience getting their AirPods Pro’s replaced at Best Buy
Lol well they might not replace them at all if they dont think they have to. If theres a problem with them, you need to go to apple so they can test them to see whats wrong. I dont know if best buy do testing i live in australia, but for apple to replace them they would first need to test them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.