Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
I love my new AirPod Pros and will be flying this Friday. Has anyone tried them on a flight yet, and if so, did they ANC really come through? It would save space to not bring my Bose QC ones.

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
I've seen a few mentions of people having flown with theirs already. Overall most seem happy with them on planes. I'm hoping to retire my big Sony ANC headphones for the AirPods Pro when flying to save space. In my 'around the house' testing so far, I find they both perform comparably.

Reactions: clcnyc

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
I flew with them this past weekend. I also had with me the Amazon Echo Buds. Preferred the Airpods Pro. In fact there was a screaming baby two rows in front of me and while I heard the baby it was tolerable. I'm still tinkering with the Pro's ear tips to find which size I prefer (may have to go with large in one ear and medium in another). My personal inclination at this time is for flights of two hours or less I'll bring my Airpod Pro. For longer flights I'll still go with my QC35s.

HeathH

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Just did my first flight and was very happy with them. I could hardly use the original AirPods on flights because I would have to Jack the volume all the way up to hear anything. I have one of the Bose QC models, which I liked, but started leaving them at home just because I found them too large to travel with.

I’m able to keep the volume down well below 50% and comfortably watch a movie with the Pro’s.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I've seen a few mentions of people having flown with theirs already. Overall most seem happy with them on planes. I'm hoping to retire my big Sony ANC headphones for the AirPods Pro when flying to save space. In my 'around the house' testing so far, I find they both perform comparably.
Which model of the Sony’s do you have? If you have one of the WF-1000 series I can’t believe the AirPods are comparable. The AirPods pro doesn’t have the passive noise cancelling of an over the ear set let alone when ANC is added. I find the ANC of the AirPods Pro weak even compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3 earbuds.

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
Which model of the Sony’s do you have? If you have one of the WF-1000 series I can’t believe the AirPods are comparable. The AirPods pro doesn’t have the passive noise cancelling of an over the ear set let alone when ANC is added. I find the ANC of the AirPods Pro weak even compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3 earbuds.

I have the WH-1000XM2 over the ear headphones. For me, the two are close enough in performance to where I could see leaving the Sony's at home when I fly. But I won't know for sure until my next trip.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I flew a total of 8 hours last weekend with my AirPod Pros and they lived up to the hype. I could not hear the usual din of the engine noise or other passengers talking. All I heard was crystal clear music.

Reactions: HeathH and clcnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.