Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oacory

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
New Jersey
I have a strange issue but not sure the cause or how to resolve it... Many times when I connect my less than 3 month old AirPod Pros to my M1 MBA, it comes out of just one ear. I check under volume on the menu bar, assuming only one AirPod connected but see they both show ample battery, meaning they are connected. In most cases, it check the output settings and realize that sound is set to only go through one ear. If I disconnect and reconnect the AirPods, this one sided setting seemingly holds so I have to manually change the balance to include both ears. The strange part is I can use them without any issue for awhile and then all of a sudden it will just occur. I can doing work with the sounds coming out of both ears then take them out for a minute to do something then come right back and it is one sided, even when using the same application(s).

I have used other headphones and this issue does not seem to occur with them. I also have not run into this issue when connecting to other device's like my iPhone, multiple AppleTVs, Peloton, etc so it seems to be thing with just my AirPod Pros and my M1 MBA. I am currently running 12.2.1 but have noticed it occurring in previous versions to Monterey and occurred once or twice on Big Sur before updating (updated in January). They are on the 4C165 firmware.

Has anyone else experienced this or know why this may happening? It is a first world issue but starting to get really annoying.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I've been encountering the same thing, seemed to start randomly a week or two ago or so. I've tried factory resetting my AirPods Pro and had no luck. This is a on 2019 16" MBP, was running 12.2.1, now on 12.3. I have an M1 MBA at home, I'll have to check and see if it is also experiencing the same thing or not when I get home.

The main difference is, for me the balance gets set all of the way to the left. Needless to say, fixing the balance every single time I remove/re-insert the AirPods Pro is getting quite frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.