Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I’m certainly not confused ….. however you want to phrase it spatial audio is completely different on AP2 compared to AP3, pro and Max ……
I’m not choosing the phrasing. MacRumors even calls it Dolby Audio Spatial Audio.

Apple decided to have awkward phrasing.

On AP3s you have to enable “apple’s spatial audio” to use Atmos spatial audio.. on AP2s Atmos tracks automatically play.. spatially(?)

Reactions: ivantheipodder

manwithashoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I've been so excited for the AP3 for a long time. APP just never worked for me. And the sound was worse. I was afraid of the same with these. It's wild to hear people say AP1/2 sound tinny. To me, they have a much fuller sound, with much better bass. The AP3 sound "cleaner"... but very little bass, not a full sound. I'm thinking it must be a fitment thing. Stinks.

I recommend playing the same track with AP2 in one ear and AP3 in the other. Best way to compare.

I have the same problem with the fitting. AP2s do have a fuller sound for me.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Make sure you’re on FW 4B61, it appears from another thread that they ship with 4B52. Not saying it fixes anything but I didn’t know this and I swear mine got better a few hours ago and I’m on 4B61.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I need to do more back and forth betweeny AP2 and AP3 but my initial thought is that I might prefer AP2 sound. In music, it sounds like the instruments are louder and have more bass but the vocals are not as loud and don't seem as punchy.

I think the fit is good. I don't feel any pain and they feel more secure than my AP2 but I still don't think I could run with them in.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I was messing around and long pressed the volume and switched spatial from off to fixed and it sounds a lot better than before. Still not sure if I prefer this over AP2.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I’m not choosing the phrasing. MacRumors even calls it Dolby Audio Spatial Audio.

Apple decided to have awkward phrasing.

On AP3s you have to enable “apple’s spatial audio” to use Atmos spatial audio.. on AP2s Atmos tracks automatically play.. spatially(?)
Non of that alters it’s different on AP2 compared to AP3 which is the context of this discussion. Perhaps my first post/ response should have said that the AP2 doesn’t offer the same spatial audio as the AP3.

Reality is that you don’t like them (AP3) which is fine.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Wow, this is crazy. These AirPods 3s sound so good I’m seriously thinking about selling my AirPods Max headphones.

The main reason I bought my AirPods Max was because I hated the way my AirPod Pro’s made me feel like I had stuffed foam earplugs in my head. And music from my AirPods 2s sounded too lifeless. NOW with my new AirPod 3s I feel like I have a balance of comfort and quality that could be my happy medium. They sound so good I don’t know if I’m going to be reaching for my AirPod Max‘s any more. Sure, they aren’t as good overall but they may now be “good enough”.

I’m still keeping my AirPod Pros because I spend way too much time with powered lawn equipment and for business travel.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
We need to remember that the shape of our ears and their canals, not to mention our body’s temperature, among many other variables can impact how we hear. And of course, the variance in source material! Remember the feeling when you get in your car and are blown away at how loud you were listening to music?

For me the Gen 3s sound fuller and more detailed, especially with something like The Beatles’ Come Together (2019 Mix) in Dolby Atmos. I agree that they can at times rival my AirPods Max experience for music, and are way more convenient and comfortable than any other earbuds I have tried. I am also seeing a marked increased in battery life, and my Gen 2s were just a few months old as I had recently replaced them. Spatial Audio with Zoom calls was cool to experience on my M1 MBA with Monterey.

I plan to continue using my AirPods Max with my TV for movies and shows, when I really want to feel my music or need ANC, but the AirPods are now great for more than just calls… music sounds amazing.

AirPods are again my favorite Apple product.

Reactions: scrane

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
AP3s sound significantly better to me than the 2s and I'm a huge fan of the 2s - I use them all day long for music, teams calls, etc. The AP2s were acceptable sound quality for me. The AP3s feel like they float in my ear without any weight and block more surround sound due to their size. My ears must be perfect for them. Going to be hard to go back to my 2s on my desk...

Reactions: johntw

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
AP3s sound significantly better to me than the 2s and I'm a huge fan of the 2s - I use them all day long for music, teams calls, etc. The AP2s were acceptable sound quality for me. The AP3s feel like they float in my ear without any weight and block more surround sound due to their size. My ears must be perfect for them. Going to be hard to go back to my 2s on my desk...

The 2’s are dead to me. I’m returning mine bought in the summer due to Costco’s generous return policy

Reactions: johntw

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The 2’s are dead to me. I’m returning mine bought in the summer due to Costco’s generous return policy

Please consider not doing that.

That is really abusing the return policy and is tantamount to just “renting” them for free.

No offense is meant towards you, but what you’re describing doing is exactly what kills great return policies for those who genuinely need it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Please consider not doing that.

That is really abusing the return policy and is tantamount to just “renting” them for free.

No offense is meant towards you, but what you’re describing doing is exactly what kills great return policies for those who genuinely need it.
I had no intention of 'renting' them to buy time, nor getting AirPods 3 any time soon.

I didnt realize Airpods3 can sync with pre-iOS 15 versions seamlessly and thats why I never considered it in the near future, planning for this year's apple purchases.

I bought AirPods 2 predicated on the fact that AirPods 3 would be a long while until I get if at all, waiting for compatibility.

--

fwiw their standard policy is 90 days and I was marginally a bit out of that, but I didnt 'argue' to return them just asked if I could and it was granted. Without any resistance or inquiry, that these may not even be under 90 days policy. But I would never return a pair that's like a year out or anything, even if that was something they'd honor. That's abuse.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I bought AirPods 2 predicated on the fact that AirPods 3 would be a long while until I get if at all, waiting for compatibility.

But you used the heck out of them and loved them - and returned them only because you bought something else.

Obviously we all set our own ethical standards, but cmon. This is taking advantage a bit.

W/e. You do you.

This is what ruins things for everyone. Costco is great, so they of course took them back. It’s still unfortunate to do to them

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
But you used the heck out of them and loved them - and returned them only because you bought something else.

Obviously we all set our own ethical standards, but cmon. This is taking advantage a bit.

W/e. You do you.

This is what ruins things for everyone. Costco is great, so they of course took them back. It’s still unfortunate to do to them

Agree to disagree I suppose.

if their policy is 90 for most products and im at 100 days, and they didnt even state that I was outside of a policy because I may not be and have heard for AirPods it may be an undefined one since they dont fall under a category in their terms, I think it is fair game. I even stated that I hadn't realized the AirPods 3 were coming out in Fall,

Where I agree is at an extremity of a nearing a month outside, etc.
--

I usually see if someone in my circle wants an apple product I dont use or care for, cause I like to do that too, but I have really been using my Bose 700 + AirPods Pro much more than this pair since getting them,

only got them because my first gen battery was crapping the toilet after a couple years of use.

It's no great loss to have a $99 pair backup too I guess thats worth considering since that remains a great price for them.

..Maybe I could dispose of my first gen that are pitifully degraded, use 2nd gen as backup, and keep in rotation. I also forgot how important wireless charging is for me, having gotten AirPods Pro the previous year with it.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Agree to disagree I suppose.

if their policy is 90 for most products and im at 100 days, and they didnt even state that I was outside of a policy because I may not be and have heard for AirPods it may be an undefined one since they dont fall under a category in their terms, I think it is fair game. I even stated that I hadn't realized the AirPods 3 were coming out in Fall,

Where I agree is at an extremity of a nearing a month outside, etc.
--

I usually see if someone in my circle wants an apple product I dont use or care for, cause I like to do that too, but I have really been using my Bose 700 + AirPods Pro much more than this pair since getting them,

only got them because my first gen battery was crapping the toilet after a couple years of use.

It's no great loss to have a $99 pair backup too I guess thats worth considering since that remains a great price for them.

..Maybe I could dispose of my first gen that are pitifully degraded, use 2nd gen as backup, and keep in rotation. I also forgot how important wireless charging is for me, having gotten AirPods Pro the previous year with it.
I spent almost 6 hours in meetings yesterday. I’ve always had two AirPods on my desk for that reason alone. Lol. I usually take the old pair jogging too. However, AirPods 3 feel so much better and sound better I might try to sell my AP2s to family after cleaning them up. Lol

Reactions: thadoggfather

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
if it doesnt it doesnt but I feel bad for people who were excited for these and cant even enjoy them because of the size incompatibility. Was the case with 1/2 as well.

Ears are a hard thing to make a universal product for imo.
It's seemed to have gotten better. Enjoyed them a lot last night. For the first time I would switch back to the 2's and go... "oh the 3's sounded better"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.