Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sykorajakku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
As many others, today I received new AirPods 3. I am experiencing constant hissing sound on both AirPods while not playing anything, happens regardless of connected device. Right AirPod also produces coil whine, quite dissapointed. Is anyone experiencing similar issues out of the box?

I think it's something which was happening already with AirPods Pro, I can compare with AirPods 2019 and AirPods Max, both completely silent while not connected to any device. I returned mine, also I would recommend testing yours at some quite place, I can experience it at home, noise of street eliminates it. Also coil whine on right AirPod is something what you can hear while calling or listening to a podcast, there are no problems while listening to music.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
As many others, today I received new AirPods 3. I am experiencing constant hissing sound on both AirPods while not playing anything, happens regardless of connected device. Right AirPod also produces coil whine, quite dissapointed. Is anyone experiencing similar issues out of the box?

I think it's something which was happening already with AirPods Pro, I can compare with AirPods 2019 and AirPods Max, both completely silent while not connected to any device. I returned mine, also I would recommend testing yours at some quite place, I can experience it at home, noise of street eliminates it. Also coil whine on right AirPod is something what you can hear while calling or listening to a podcast, there are no problems while listening to music.
I’m picking mine (AP3’s) up at the Apple Store this afternoon. I’m Eager to give them a try. I’ve had the AP2’s since 2019 and love them. If the 3’s are a good fit….and the hissing noise you’re hearing is at least drowned out by the constant ringing in my ears anyway ?……I’ll keep them as they seem to be a nice upgrade.

Nice to know that you can actually return AirPods after you’ve tried them. I didn’t know if those were returnable like other Apple products.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Wow. If mine come and are making any noise at all when they are in my ears with nothing playing, they are going back immediately

k1im

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2020
Okk… I’m not crazy. I can hear it too.

I will see how it goes but leaning towards the return. Definitely unpleasant surprise as it’s my first AirPods:(

Reactions: hooldus

Pawełek

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
It's making this sound even when not connected to any source and no matter music is playing or not. I can hear it while listening to music on low volume.

• Angry
Reactions: turbineseaplane

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
If the 3’s are a good fit….and the hissing noise you’re hearing is at least drowned out by the constant ringing in my ears anyway ?……I’ll keep them as they seem to be a nice upgrade.

Now that’s funny and it’s me too!

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I can hear a faint noise which sounds like a radio trying to find the correct channel (don’t know how else to explain it)…. Other than that issue I am enjoying my new AirPods ?

Pawełek

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
I will try to replace my pair tommorow and will report if second pair has this issue too. Maybe some people are more sensitive to this hiss.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just got mine and they're good. Not a peep connected or disconnected from a source.

Last edited:

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Mine hisses and has coil whine. I just shipped them back to Apple. I'm going to wait to see if a software update can fix those two issues before I buy them again.
I’ve found that age and a little tinnitus work wonders for canceling out unwanted hisses and/or coil whine. At 61 all I hear when nothing is playing on my AP3’s is a nice ringing sound. ?

Reactions: scrane

tim34567

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Oh my god, I just opened mine up and the hiss and whine on them is insane. I've never owned a pair of AirPods so I don't know what to compare them with but I honestly would classify these as defective. Do previous versions of AirPods have this? There is a constant low volume sound almost like a processor running or something, and then once every minute or two a high pitched very noticeable whine sound, that lasts for a few seconds and then stops.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

cent1047

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
My right pair Airpods has the same issue as well. At first i thought it might be some weird side effects from feature, so i went ahead and tried the following:
  1. Turning on and off for spatial audio
  2. Turning on and off for find my airpods (in case if... U1 chip was the culprit lel)
  3. Turning on and off for Optimized Battery charging
  4. Changing microphone options
  5. switch to different device (Macbook)
  6. Changing music apps
  7. FaceTime calls
But nothing worked. I think this is very similar to the Airpods Pros issue. I'm a bit annoyed to be honest haha. Just a thought, can we make this a poll so that we can get editor's awareness? I really want Apple to resolve this issue ASAP...

tim34567

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
I tried some of those steps too and nothing helped. It is a little worse in the right rather than the left. It occurs even when they are not connected to any device. I don’t think I have sensitive hearing and I hate returning things, it takes a lot for me to actually bother and return something, but I honestly couldn’t even listen for more than 20 mins with these, it’s that distracting. I’m curious how widespread it is too…

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I am really sensitive to noises and - mine are perfect I guess? No noise at all.

My AirPods Pros had issues where when I jogged it would crackle on every downward momentum as I pressed away from the ground. If I touched the right AirPod it would crackle and pop like crazy - when inserting they would squeal sometimes and whine really loudly. A replacement pair fixed this for awhile before issues returned. I ended up giving them away for free.

This is why I prefer and use AirPods 2 until I got my 3s today.

So far my AirPods 3 are perfect but my hearing is far from perfect. Definitely a sound boost from the 2s.

Mygoodgomez

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Same happening to me. Right earbud has a very faint static noise that is audible when music/sound is playing and when not.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks to my colleague who pointed out to me that my new toy had a flaw ?. I can hear in a very faint hiss in my right AirPod too, when not playing any audio. It's not the end of the world (I put them in my ears to listen to audio, not silence), but now that I know I am mildly displeased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.