Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok so owning the AirPods 3 have been an excruciating experience in many ways for me. From initial fit to noise hissing to charging issues I'm not at all as much a fan of them as I was of the original airpods. However there is one thing that really is a deal breaker in my experience.

People on calls sometimes can't hear me!

In quiet, noise-less areas they just don't pick up my voice all of the time!

In loud areas (say.. in an apple store when the technician wants to verify my issue) they work fine. Also went through the "maybe left or right mic is broken" scenario there but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's like an algorithm is trying to keep the mics off as much as possible and is deeming my voice as "not worthy" to amplify the mic or something. This is also evident when making voice messages, it just doesn't trigger on the first couple of words and if I'm unlucky it just doesn't do it at all.

I see a ton of people not happy with the AirPods 3 here but usually for other reasons, some of which I share, but this one.. Am I alone? DOES MY VOICE SUCK THAT MUCH!? (Sorry no sample provided.)

I'm on my THIRD pair now. All work the same, though 2nd one also had hissing. With tons of apologies to everyone I've tried calling with these meanwhile. I've currently booked another appointment with the Apple Store and my plan is to hopefully return them entirely and pickup a pair of trouble-free AirPods 2 instead.

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
You aren’t using Teams when people can’t hear you are you? There’s a toggle that appears in the Control Centre when on a call in Teams that lets you specify background noise cancelling and when I have it on, people can’t hear me either.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
You aren’t using Teams when people can’t hear you are you? There’s a toggle that appears in the Control Centre when on a call in Teams that lets you specify background noise cancelling and when I have it on, people can’t hear me either.
Nope. Normal calls as well as facetime audio calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.