Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdb32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
Has anyone had any issues with the microphone on their Airpods 3?

I have a set of Airpods 3 that I purchased in January 2023. Apple has already replaced the Airpods two times under warranty. They have never been abused, dropped it water etc. All the warranty claims were accepted. Basically the mic stops working and people cannot hear me as it keeps cutting in and out. I know it is not the connection as a microphone recording test shows the mic cutting in and out.

I also have a set of Airpods Pro 2 that was purchased around the same time. Never had an issue with them and they get way more use being used outside. I also have an old pair of original Airpods from 2019 and other than shorter battery life, they still work fine. These Airpods 3 basically just a spare set at home for phone calls, listening to audio through computer etc.

Now they are acting up again. Basically the mic keeps cutting out and people cannot hear me on audio calls. I just did another mic check through the recording app and sure enough, it keeps cutting in and out. Anyone have similar issues? Doesn't seem reasonable to go through three sets of earbuds in 14 months.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
it seems pretty unusual

I've had no issues with my (several pairs of) 3's compared to lots of problems with the (even more pairs of) Pros - and unlike the Pros, I actually have dropped my 3's in water, as well as dropped in general often because of the garbage-tier fit. If anything people complain that I come across too loudly, I daren't touch a bag of chips while on the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.