Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob1876

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
Hi, will Siri announce notifications on iPhone through AirPods whist you are listening to music?

According to Apple's site Siri will announce notifications 'unless you're on a call or listening to music'...is this correct? I'd like to buy some for gym use but always leave my iPhone in my locker so would need notifications to be read out whilst I'm listening to music.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hi, will Siri announce notifications on iPhone through AirPods whist you are listening to music?
In settings, you can allow Siri to announce notifications per App, & Music is listed there, so it's possible.

I do recall it happening for me as I also use AirPods in gym, but since i've created a Focus to turn off Notifications whilst at gym, it's been a while since i've heard them.

Rob1876

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2022
In settings, you can allow Siri to announce notifications per App, & Music is listed there, so it's possible.

I do recall it happening for me as I also use AirPods in gym, but since i've created a Focus to turn off Notifications whilst at gym, it's been a while since i've heard them.
Hi Ralfi, thanks for your reply.

I thought that the Apps listed under the announce notifications per App section were the ones that you allow notifications from, not ones that you allow notifications to generate whilst you are using?

Basically I'd like to leave my iPhone in my bag, listen to music on either Apple Music or Spotify but then when a notification comes in (whether that be email, message, call, football score etc) for this to be read out to me by Siri - i.e. over the music. Is this possible?

Maybe somebody could test for me? Thanks!

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
It works over music. I use the AirPods 3 on the train during my commute everyday and listen to music. I get all the notifications announced that I set to be announced (mainly from messaging services and Instagram).
Hi Ralfi, thanks for your reply.

I thought that the Apps listed under the announce notifications per App section were the ones that you allow notifications from, not ones that you allow notifications to generate whilst you are using?

Basically I'd like to leave my iPhone in my bag, listen to music on either Apple Music or Spotify but then when a notification comes in (whether that be email, message, call, football score etc) for this to be read out to me by Siri - i.e. over the music. Is this possible?

Maybe somebody could test for me? Thanks!
Also your assessment is correct. The apps listed under the announce notifications per App section are the ones that you allow notifications from.

Edit: And I use Apple Music, if that makes any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.