Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you prefer?

• AirPods 3 (3rd Gen)

• AirPods Pro

• Older gen

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

nCode

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2021
I'm contemplating whether to get the new 3 gen AirPods or the Pro model. Looking for something that is comfortable in the ear while sleeping, but yet produce good sound and bass as having a in-ear immersive experience.

The noise cancelling doesn't really bother me, providing the sound quality isn't compromised. Having said that It would seem I'm leaning more towards the AirPods 3rd gen?

Just curious to what you guys have experienced, thanks.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I love my 3rd Gens.

Can’t get along with the Pros at all. Silicon tips and ANC (on in ear headphones) are a no go for me. Dunno if it’s ear shape or what, but I find them oppressive and claustrophobic.

Reactions: nCode

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I would add the beats fit pro to your list. Buy them all and return the ones you don't want. I like the beats fit pro even more than the AirPods Pro. They stay in my ear better and IMO have slightly better sound. ANC is about a wash between he two. I also like the button on the beats better than the flex click on the AirPods Pro which feels a little cheap.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I would stay away from the AirPods Pro. The rattling sound IS a design issue. Today I woke up to a my right airpod doing it yet again. Coming up for my 4th or 5th replacement.

Flawed product. Wait for 2nd gen or buy something else.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
I would stay away from the AirPods Pro. The rattling sound IS a design issue. Today I woke up to a my right airpod doing it yet again. Coming up for my 4th or 5th replacement.

Sleek by 50 cent! best headphones ever made.

N-credible by Nick Cannon a close runner up.

"both by far lightyears ahead of the competition." - Gary Busey he rates both A+ with a 98.9% approval/recommendation.

nCode

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2021

What is the rattling issue exactly, loose plastic inside the earbuds?
Does the standard AirPods have this issue?

fredriks

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2020
I have them both, 3rd gen I use as my daily and pro I use wile driving for example or when I want ANC. I usually don’t like in ear headphones because I hear my self talking in my head (if yo know what I mean) but when I’m in a car it’s great. It’s great for music and phone calls because of ANC.

3rd gen I use in my office for phone calls or watching Apple TV in bed.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
What is the rattling issue exactly, loose plastic inside the earbuds?
Does the standard AirPods have this issue?
They rattle when you walk... every step. It drives me nuts and I thought it was just me until I read about it here.

I just bought 3rd gen AirPods last week and I love them so much. Having the sound quality of the Pros without the rattle and without the silicone tips feels like these are the definitive AirPods for me. I can live without ANC in most cases but I still have the Pros in case I ever need ANC.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Sometimes there is just a constant faint noise in one or both AirPods like a hissing. I only use them anymore other than to take out the dog for a walk and I’ll keep replacing them for as long as Apple give free replacements. Once they stop, I’ll get the Sony wireless earbuds.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just bought the Airpod 3 today. Pretty good, I guess. They’re larger than the last ones I bought (Gen 1 or 2), which is good for me because my previous pair used to fit well when I put them in, but wouldn’t fit as well after a few minutes. They wouldn’t fall out, but the bass would be significantly reduced as they shifted slightly away from my ear canal. ??‍♂️

This time, I hope the slightly larger size improves the fit for me and gives me better bass. They’re not bad for open earphones. ?

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
I'm contemplating whether to get the new 3 gen AirPods or the Pro model. Looking for something that is comfortable in the ear while sleeping, but yet produce good sound and bass as having a in-ear immersive experience.

The noise cancelling doesn't really bother me, providing the sound quality isn't compromised. Having said that It would seem I'm leaning more towards the AirPods 3rd gen?

Just curious to what you guys have experienced, thanks.
you should wait for the airpods pro 2, they should make the wireless experience even better
with support for lossless and improved battery life thanks to UWB, so if you have an iphone 11 or later you should wait...or buy something now and exchanged it next year if this will come true

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 18.18.52.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 18.18.52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

nCode

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2021
you should wait for the airpods pro 2, they should make the wireless experience even better
with support for lossless and improved battery life thanks to UWB, so if you have an iphone 11 or later you should wait...or buy something now and exchanged it next year if this will come true
To be honest, I'm not really an audiophile, just looking for something decent. I tend to wait a year or so after release for promos, so I don't think it will really be viable for me ti wait for the upcoming Pro 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.