Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
HI guys,
Just purchased a pair of airpods 3rd gen on kijiji ....Face Palm.
The packaging is spot on I find it hard to believe this are fakes. But when I try and pair them on my iphone 13 pro max It says "Not your Airpods. airpods not connected to this phone." then asks me to connect. When I click connect it asks me to hold down the back button to pair.
Aren't this supposed to connect automatically without then need to hold down the button on an iphone?
Also once connected Hey siri doesn't work. I tried using left and right mic only but doesn't work.
Is it possible fakes that look this good all they way down to the packaging details??
BTW I also checked the serial number on the box and the airpods and they match. I checked on apple.ca for the serial number and the only issue is "Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired".

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
Probably it’s fake .
Purchased a MagSafe charger from an “official” reseller here in the Netherlands.

Package was spot on, the puck feels good. Have got an original, and they feel the same.
Only difference is, in the settings with the real MagSafe, you see “MagSafe” in the settings, when connectedz

With the fake one, you don’t see that.
Don’t have a power measure plug to check the difference. But i guess it doesn’t charge the same.

The fakes are getting really good these days ?

Maurier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I have looked at a lot of videos of fake airpods unboxing but nothing comes close to the ones I got.
All the others have either something different on the box or on the inside. The ones I have are perfect....all the warranty papers are there , the wrapping of the airpods to the cable are perfect. When I got this they were sealed just like the real ones.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Actually never mind I found a video of the ones I got.

@ 1.40 that is exactly what mine did.

I'm so pissed I paid $200CAD for this. Even the serial number matched on Apple.ca. This fake ones feel just like the real ones.

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
I don’t know what kiji is, if it is an “official” reseller you can open a ticket. I got my €30 back for the fake charger. And I could keep it. The shop in my case “will open an investigation” yeah right.

I’m sorry to hear it :( 200 is a serious number

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Kijiji is the Canadian version of craigslist. OP unfortunately this is an expensive lesson that you shouldn’t purchase AirPods unless it’s from an official retailer given the fakes out there. It could be useful to share pictures of the box so that others can see the signs of fakes. Usually there are subtle differences between the fakes and official boxes. Have the fakes gotten it down to the exact same packaging? That would be extremely worrisome.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I will upload pics tomorrow.
I just bought a pair of real ones from best buy. This fake ones are amazing how much they look like the real thing. I was worried I would not be able to tell the difference :0
If you go to kijiji.ca and do a search for airpods 3 there are tons of ads with this fake airpods. So many people are getting scammed.
I'm just going to put them in the garbage and not try and sale them to someone else. Some people are just ******...they will do anything for the $$$$$.

Reactions: scrane

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
There are a few sellers selling the fake ones as real, almost buy one from FB marketplace until
I see this post. I am surprised the fake one already uses the paper pull tab opening method as opposed to plastic wraps

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I will upload pics tomorrow.
I just bought a pair of real ones from best buy. This fake ones are amazing how much they look like the real thing. I was worried I would not be able to tell the difference :0
If you go to kijiji.ca and do a search for airpods 3 there are tons of ads with this fake airpods. So many people are getting scammed.
I'm just going to put them in the garbage and not try and sale them to someone else. Some people are just ******...they will do anything for the $$$$$.
You never mentioned the sound quality. Even if they are fake, why would you throw them in the garbage if they work as a listening device? You paid for 'em so why not keep them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.