Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I’ve owned every AirPods there is - first gen, second gen, AirPods Pro etc. There’s no question the third gen is the best sounding, and it’s not even close. Even aside from the toned down treble from gen. 2, the bass is massively better in A/B testing.

That said, comfort is going to be a problem for some. The first/second gen are super comfortable due to their smaller shape, and the third gen is noticeably less so due to the more bulbous design.

I suspect this will cause a bunch of disagreement on the forums, but there you have it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
After a few hours this morning, that is my exact takeaway as well.

Sound quality is noticeably better on music in particular, but they definitely feel more “present” in my ears.

I think I’m likely lucky on my ear shape, as I haven’t felt that it’s become painful or super bothersome as of yet. That said, more testing is required.

I’m fairly worried that my #1 love from the AP1/AP2 isn’t going to be there long term....that is their ability to truly “disappear” in the ear.

Reactions: WilliamG

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I literally talk on the phone and my left one completely falls out of my ear.. dissapointing to me. Not a fan of rubber tips but i think i'm destined for them

Reactions: WilliamG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.