Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I just received my new AirPods 3 yesterday, and when I checked the firmware version, it said 4B61. I've never heard of that version before. A few weeks ago, the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max got a new firmware update, 4A400. Assuming that 4B is newer than 4A, does that mean that there will be an upcoming update to the Pros and Maxes as well? Or are they using two different AirPods firmwares for the pros/maxes and the regular ones?
May I also add that with these 3rd generations, it´s the first time that the majority of the songs I've listened to so far are sounding better with "spatialize stereo" enabled. To me, it sounds like it just opens up the soundstage (without degrading the musical quality) and hits lower in the bass area.
I will continue to explore how they work in different situations, but my question was about the firmware. What's most likely? Two different firmwares (pros and regulars), a soon-coming update to the 3rd generation (to make it 4A400), or a soon-coming firmware update to the pros (to make them 4B61)?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
AirPods 3 ship with 4B52 and then quickly update themselves to 4B61. Probably a different branch of firmware from other AirPods. I have not noticed any difference between the two, both sound great to me. 🖐

Reactions: johntw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.