Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So I've been testing the AirPods this morning, calling numerous people, getting their impressions as to how I sound, versus how I sound just holding the phone. I use Bluetooth for a lot of phone calls, but it's never been a "perfect" technology for me, with disconnects, crackles etc etc.

The AirPods? Well, they're different, and there are some great things, here.

1.) As others have said, these aren't falling out of MOST people's ears. I actually struggled a bit with the EarPods because the cord is the KEY in causing issues for stability in the ear. While the EarPods *mostly* stayed in my ear, I did have to adjust them numerous times when wearing them for extended periods. With the AirPods? No such issue. No wires = great stability. And yes, shaking the head is no problem, here.

2.) Call quality is absolutely superb. I called a very tech-oriented buddy (thanks, Omar!) to test this with me, and he could tell no discernible difference with me in my house or outside on my windy street today in Seattle - between AirPods and my iPhone 7 Plus. HOWEVER, in my worst-case-scenario test location, a tiled and VERY echoey bathroom, he could tell that there was a small echo with the AirPods. That said, the call quality was still excellent, and miles ahead of any other BT headset I've called him with which would show far more echo.

Also to note, I could speak VERY quietly, and my friend said he could still hear me PERFECTLY. Gone are the days of holding the microphone on the EarPods up to my mouth so people can hear me better. Speak at normal volume because the AirPods have you covered!

3.) The interface for the case is just pure Apple gloriousness. People who own the AirPods by now will know what I mean, but each and every time you remove or insert an AirPod is... well... downright sexual. It feels right, it works perfectly, and it's a very pleasing experience. The magnets, the fit, the little LED - just about as perfect as you could imagine.

4.) I love that you just place either or both AirPods into your ears, and the phone will switch to BT for your call. You remove one AirPod while you're on the call, and the existing AirPod will serve as the single microphone. You remove the second AirPod from your ear, and it reverts to the phone for audio (for music, removing one AirPod pauses). Note: My friend said he noticed no difference in audio quality when trying either AirPod by itself or both together. Crystal clear, both over regular cell calls or via FaceTime audio.

5.) The battery case is just great, and the AirPods recharge startlingly quickly. I went from 82% to 100% in what must have been fewer than 15 minutes. The case is also smaller than my VW keyless entry fob, and will live in my pocket when out and about.

Overall, haters gonna hate, but I absolutely - so far - love the AirPods. The audio quality is undeniably better than the EarPods. Better bass, better definition, and it's so refreshingly freeing to not have any more wires. The future is wireless, but WORKING wireless. This is as close as we've come yet so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 353
Last edited:

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
So I've been testing the AirPods this morning, calling numerous people, getting their impressions as to how I sound, versus how I sound just holding the phone. I use Bluetooth for a lot of phone calls, but it's never been a "perfect" technology for me, with disconnects, crackles etc etc.

1.) As others have said, these aren't falling out of MOST people's ears. I actually struggled a bit with the EarPods because the cord is the KEY in causing issues for stability in the ear. While the EarPods *mostly* stayed in my ear, I did have to adjust them numerous times when wearing them for extended periods. With the AirPods? No such issue. No wires = great stability. And yes, shaking the head is no problem, here.

2.) Call quality is absolutely superb. I called a very tech-oriented buddy to test this with me, and he could tell no discernible difference with me in my house or outside on my windy street today in Seattle - between AirPods and my iPhone 7 Plus. HOWEVER, in my worst-case-scenario test location, a tiled and VERY echoey bathroom, he could tell that there was a small echo with the AirPods. That said, the call quality was still excellent, and miles ahead of any other BT headset I've called him with which would show far more echo.

Also to note, I could speak VERY quietly, and my friend said he could still hear me PERFECTLY. Gone are the days of holding the microphone on the EarPods up to my mouth so people can hear me better. Speak at normal volume because the AirPods have you covered!

3.) The interface for the case is just pure Apple gloriousness. People who own the AirPods by now will know what I mean, but each and every time you remove or insert an AirPod is... well... downright sexual. It feels right, it works perfectly, and it's a very pleasing experience. The magnets, the fit, the little LED - just about as perfect as you could imagine.

4.) I love that you just place either or both AirPods into your ears, and the phone will switch to BT for your call. You remove one AirPod while you're on the call, and the existing AirPod will serve as the single microphone. You remove the second AirPod from your ear, and it reverts to the phone for audio (for music, removing one AirPod pauses). Note: My friend said he noticed no difference in audio quality when trying either AirPod by itself or both together. Crystal clear, both over regular cell calls or via FaceTime audio.

5.) The battery case is just great, and the AirPods recharge startlingly quickly. I went from 82% to 100% in what must have been fewer than 15 minutes. The case is also smaller than my VW keyless entry fob, and will live in my pocket when out and about.

Overall, haters gonna hate, but I absolutely - so far - love the AirPods. The audio quality is undeniably better than the EarPods. Better bass, better definition, and it's so refreshingly freeing to not have any more wires. The future is wireless, but WORKING wireless. This is as close as we've come yet so far.

Thanks for taking time to give your impressions on the AirPods. Mine arrived today as well but unfortunately my wife has wrapped them in Christmas paper and I am forbidden from seeing them until Christmas Day! :rolleyes:

I think this will become a very important product for Apple and look forward to trying it out myself. Thanks again.

jsawy3r

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I got them today and can second William.

These will likely replace my Beoplay H5s on their convenience, functionality and fit alone. the rigors daily use are where "it just works" is key.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
2.) Call quality is absolutely superb. I called a very tech-oriented buddy to test this with me, and he could tell no discernible difference with me in my house or outside on my windy street today in Seattle - between AirPods and my iPhone 7 Plus. HOWEVER, in my worst-case-scenario test location, a tiled and VERY echoey bathroom, he could tell that there was a small echo with the AirPods. That said, the call quality was still excellent, and miles ahead of any other BT headset I've called him with which would show far more echo.

This is a huge win for the Airpods.

The fumbling that I encountered with other BT headphones in calls for business or friends has caused frustration on both ends.

Additionally, having an always ready Siri assistant is a major shift that I have yet to fully experience.

Apple will get back some of the accolades that was missing for this past year.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

2.) Call quality is absolutely superb. I called a very tech-oriented buddy (thanks, Omar!) to test this with me, and he could tell no discernible difference with me in my house or outside on my windy street today in Seattle - between AirPods and my iPhone 7 Plus. HOWEVER, in my worst-case-scenario test location, a tiled and VERY echoey bathroom, he could tell that there was a small echo with the AirPods. That said, the call quality was still excellent, and miles ahead of any other BT headset I've called him with which would show far more echo.

Agreed on all points. These headphones are vastly superior in every way to earpods. It's not even close.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I feel the same way. Nothing to set up, just worked out the box and have been working flawlessly ever since. In love with mine.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I would say if they pair and stay paired like the video describe them then indeed we have the first it just works product of the Tim Cook era. I hope these things fly of shelves and please many people. We need some apple good cheer around this place. The MacBook Pro broke some parts of macrumors. Maybe some AirPods love will help

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I really like my AirPods. They feel like nothing is in my ears and lay on my face. I'm still getting used to the right amount of pressure when tapping and switching sources. I hope song skip functionality is added via software update in the future as well as integration with 3rd party music apps like Pandora. I liked being able to play/pause music via Pandora app on my Apple Watch but now have to use the generic music app there to control instead. I can live with that and dont feel like i look crazy wearing them in public.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
As far as actual audio playback mine have been great. The main issue I've had is it not playing the "in-ear" tone when using them with my Mac (which is probably a macOS bug.) That plus the double tap gesture is really unreliable for me as well. Hoping they improve those with some software updates.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Got mine this afternoon and have used them with iPhone, Watch, and MacBook. Agree with the OP. The Airpods user experience - from keynote thru using them - has reminded me of previous times Apple has transformed something very frustrating into something pleasant.

Reactions: AdonisSMU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.